Taize contemplative prayer

• Thread starter Thread starter ClaytonGarrett
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ClaytonGarrett

Our church is doing this (just starting) every first Friday of the month. It was explained to us that it originated in France with the ecumentical community of Taize and it involves meditative chant, reading of scripture, followed by silent prayer, individual and communal prayer, and individual prayer around the cross.

Anyone ever heard of this or participated in it?

Yes - a fair bit as a musician and music group leader, sometimes with Br Ghislain from Taize present.

I’ve seen some very “successful” (for want of a better word) Taize gatherings and some that just did not “work” at all because the leaders did not “get” it and tried to make it something it is not.

Have you experienced it before, or is there anything in particular you wanted to know or discuss about it?

Our church is doing this (just starting) every first Friday of the month. It was explained to us that it originated in France with the ecumentical community of Taize and it involves meditative chant, reading of scripture, followed by silent prayer, individual and communal prayer, and individual prayer around the cross.

I’ve never taken part in a full Taize prayer service. But, a priest I know who had visited Taize once lead prayer during exposition of the Blessed Sacrament and he said he was influenced by what he encountered at Taize.

I believe after some quiet, personal prayer we chanted “Adoramus Te, Domine” - Latin for “We adore You, O Lord” - over and over. It was very meditative.

Then there was more quiet, personal prayer. And then he ended it with Benediction.

James

I have attended Taize services with some regularity over the past couple of years.

I find them to be quite worthwhile.

Each particular service will take on its own character, based upon participants, environment, prayer leaders, and such.

What I enjoy is that it provides an opportunity for something which is more silent and meditative with simple but straightforward scripture and song. In some sense, I consider it to be almost quasi-Benedictine in nature in what it has the potential to foster with meditative quietude, melodic music, and a sort of lectio divina.

I have not been to a formal Taize service but our choir sings various Taize chants and hymns throughout the year. Crucem Tuam never fails to bring me into a contemplative state. Laudate Dominum we’ve used on various feast days and orndinations.

Veni Sancte Spiritus on Pentecost when all of the adults of the diocese who have never been Confirmed. You can’t help but see the impact this has on folks - and how much they come up afterward and say - “What was that?” “Why can’t I have it at my parish?”. And the answer is, it doesn’t take a cathedral choir to sing this music.

Great music.

I spent four days at Taize, France. I later hosted some youth in Stuttgart, Germany who were there for the yearly youth gathering that Taize hosts in different areas and attended some of the services. I highly recommend both the music and contemplative prayer fostered by Taize. Look them up on the net, they are an amazing group.

yes it is beautiful and productive means of meditation in a small group, but does required good music leaders who also know the spirituality behind the chants and their use. the leaders sing the “verses” and the community sings a repetitive refrain or antiphon, in most Taize chants. some are drawn from traditional Gregorian chant (confitemine Domino, Crucem Tuam etc) others are composed by Taize in Latin or modern languages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back