Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

Drivers on Cell Phones Kill Thousands, Snarl Traffic
By Robert Roy Britt
LiveScience Senior Writer
posted: 01 February 2005
01:52 pm ET

Finally, empirical proof you can blame chatty 20-somethings for stop-and-go traffic on the way to work.

A new study confirms that the reaction time of cell phone users slows dramatically, increasing the risk of accidents and tying up traffic in general, and when young adults use cell phones while driving, they’re as bad as sleepy septuagenarians.

“If you put a 20-year-old driver behind the wheel with a cell phone, their reaction times are the same as a 70-year-old driver who is not using a cell phone,” said University of Utah psychology professor David Strayer. “It’s like instantly aging a large number of drivers.”

The study was announced today and is detailed in winter issue of the quarterly journal Human Factors.

Traffic jams and death

Cell phone distraction causes 2,600 deaths and 330,000 injuries in the United States every year, according to the journal’s publisher, the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society.

The reason is now obvious:

Drivers talking on cell phones were 18 percent slower to react to brake lights, the new study found. In a minor bright note, they also kept a 12 percent greater following distance. But they also took 17 percent longer to regain the speed they lost when they braked. That frustrates everyone.

“Once drivers on cell phones hit the brakes, it takes them longer to get back into the normal flow of traffic,” Strayer said. “The net result is they are impeding the overall flow of traffic.”

Strayer and his colleagues have been down this road before. In 2001, they found that even hands-free cell phone use distracted drivers. In 2003 they revealed a reason: Drivers look but don’t see, because they’re distracted by the conversation. The scientists also found previously that chatty motorists are less adept than drunken drivers with blood alcohol levels exceeding 0.08.

Separate research last year at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign supported the conclusion that hands-free cell phone use causes driver distraction.

“With younger adults, everything got worse,” said Arthur Kramer, who led the Illinois study. “Both young adults and older adults tended to show deficits in performance. They made more errors in detecting important changes and they took longer to react to the changes.”

The impaired reactions involved seconds, not just fractions of a second, so stopping distances increased by car-lengths.

Older drivers more cautious

The latest study used high-tech simulators. It included people aged 18 to 25 and another group aged 65 to 74. Elderly drivers were slower to react when talking on the phone, too.

The simulations uncovered a twofold increase in the number of rear-end collisions by drivers using cell phones.

livescience.com/technology/050201_cell_danger.html

Just yesterday I witnessed an older man talking on his cell while driving and swerving right into a pole. I asked him if he was alright but he told me off. I just chalked it up to embarrassment.

It’s illegal to talk on a hand-held phone while driving in all states of Australia. The fines vary but are over $135 and up to $1000 I think.

40.png
Philip76:
It’s illegal to talk on a hand-held phone while driving in all states of Australia. The fines vary but are over $135 and up to $1000 I think.
Geez, I wish they’d get laws like that here in the States. I can’t stand cell phones(and I have to carry TWO most of the time).

:mad: Just once I’d like to go to dinner without hearing half of someone’s conversation, or a movie without the stupid things ringing. Don’t even get me started about phones in Mass…

When I’m King of the world 😉 , we;re going to make a big pile of them, pound them flat and then have a bonfire…

40.png
FightingFat:
It’s illegal over here as well.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3015610.stm

I do wonder though, is it worse than smoking? Or picking your nose? Or chatting to a passenger? Where do you draw the line?
I don’t know where you draw the line. I do know that there have been people pulled over in the states for verbally fighting with a passenger–or at least, they were pulled over for erratic driving, and the cause was fighting with a passenger. I’ve heard tales of accidents from people dropping a lit cigarette in their lap as they were driving as well. I guess as with everything it is moderation.

Of course, if people actually knew how to drive and took full responsibility for hurling a ton of steel at high speeds, accidents would reduce and be the actual defination of accident. Most of what occurs on roads today that are called accidents could have been avoided by better driving and more awareness.

40.png
Almeria:
I’ve heard tales of accidents from people dropping a lit cigarette in their lap as they were driving as well.
Always did think smoking was bad for your health:tiphat:

my last crash was due to a driver talking on his phone, fortunately we both could walk away from the smash, i just hope 7.5 tonne of lorry was enough to cure his bad habit

40.png
cainem:
my last crash was due to a driver talking on his phone, fortunately we both could walk away from the smash, i just hope 7.5 tonne of lorry was enough to cure his bad habit
:rotfl: :rotfl: I trust it gained his immediate attention.

I pray the rosary when I drive – it keeps me from getting upset by idiot drivers and gives me an opportunity to say 20-30 decades a day.

It’s banned here, but people still break it, it’s redicilous looking at truck drivers trying to negotiate a roundabout with one hand on the steering-wheel, and another with a mobile phone in their ear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back