Tattoos and body piercing forbidden

  • Thread starter Thread starter jjkdlk4
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jjkdlk4

Guest
5th commandment, thou shalt not kill, per CCC 2297 forbids non therapuetic amputations, mutilations and sterlizations.

I understand this to forbid both tattoos and body piercing of any kind. Is this correct?
 
I asked this question regarding piercings a while ago, this is a link to the topic so you can see the responses I received:
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=526275

Personally I think piercing in itself is not inherently sinful, but excessive piercing or using piercings for vanity or to incite lust would be a sin.
 
I don’t think piercing is inherently evil either, otherwise majority of women or young girls would have to go to confession for mutilating their ears, which would be crazy. I do think once piercing becomes excessive, damaging, or bizarre that there is a line that is being crossed.

Tattoos, I think, are just plain wrong because of how they permanently mark up and deface the body.
 
I was just about to post a thread about this. So, tattoos are always wrong even if of a Catholic nature and even if you have only 1 or 2?

I ask b/c I have my astrological sign tattooed on my leg which I got while I was agnostic and very anti-Christian. I was thinking about getting the Holy Spirit dove to cover it up or getting the dove somewhere else and then in a few years having the other one removed.

If it is wrong I will simply have the other one removed…
 
You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo marks upon you: I am the Lord. – Leviticus 19:28 NKJV

Just curious: what is the point of having piercings or tattoos? I’m pretty sure God thinks we’re fine, since He created us that way. But I still wonder of why would a Christian want to have a piercing or tattoo?
 
There is nothing in the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church that forbids either tatoos or piercing. If it did, about 90% of the women in the US would be in a state of sin, because they have pierced ears (a piercing is a piercing).

So would about 50% of Catholic veterans and military personnel.
 
There are prohibitions against pride and immodesty. Some do get piercings and tatoos for the specific purpose of eliciting a sexual response in other people or for no other reason than to stand out in the crowd and get themselves noticed.

“Because it’s sexy” is nothing more than justification for putting a stumbling block in front of people who otherwise would not be drawn into lust and other forms of sexual tempation. “To express my individuality” is nothing more than pride.

It’s one thing to make oneself beautiful, especially for young woman for whome it is legitimate to want to attract a husband but modesty and humility are hallmarks of the Christian life and signs of holiness. You just don’t see too many monks and nuns running around with nose rings and tribal “body art.”

Appropriateness of the situation is important. A swimsuit may be appropriate for the beach but not in the office and similarly, a belly button ring and butt crack tattoo is innapropriate for Mass and strictly forbidden in my daughter’s School. Culture and time has a role to play as well. An African tribe is different from a business woman on Wall St.

If tatoo’s and peircings injure the virtues of pride and modesty, then they go too far. Ask yourself, does this tatoo, piercing, hair cut, way of dress, etc. say, “HEY EVERYONE, LOOK AT ME!” or will it cause members of the opposite sex to lust after me?

-Tim-
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top