A
Augustine3
Guest
What does the Church say about Tattoos?
God bless,
God bless,
I don’t know…there seems to be nothing specific.What does the Church say about Tattoos?
[SIGN]Now that’s Catholic![/SIGN]Nicene Creed (Latin)
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/l7i7t7o/PICT0043-1.jpg
It’s because of the possibility of transmitting disease if the needles aren’t sterile. I remember seeing a news report that said that 1 in 3 people with tattoos had Hep C. I imagine that’s what they’re worrying about.I don’t know…there seems to be nothing specific.
Let me share though that two weeks ago, I donated blood to a charity. The medical staff were rejecting those who had tattoos, I wonder why. Maybe it is bad for the blood? At any rate, if one would get a tattoo willingly knowing there are ill health effects, then that would constitute a sin.
Instead of asking what the church says, you should ask what does the bible say. Here are a couple of scriptures.What does the Church say about Tattoos?
God bless,
Well, there is a point there…especially on the one about the temple of God. It is good to reflect on this passage when you do something to your body. The passage has deep nuances though, which I believe cannot be oversimplified and directly related to an outright prohibition on tattoos in general.Instead of asking what the church says, you should ask what does the bible say. Here are a couple of scriptures.
Leviticus 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
1 Corinthians 6:19 says “What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?”
The bibles says not to do it and that is our guide.
Oh thanks. I wasn’t aware. In that case I wouldn’t ever consider getting a tattoo.It’s because of the possibility of transmitting disease if the needles aren’t sterile. I remember seeing a news report that said that 1 in 3 people with tattoos had Hep C. I imagine that’s what they’re worrying about.
The scripture is apart of the word of God. It strictly forbids printing marks on your body. That comes first and foremost. Nothing is suppose to be over the word of God. That scripture is plain and simple. Let’s not complicate it.Well, there is a point there…especially on the one about the temple of God. It is good to reflect on this passage when you do something to your body. The passage has deep nuances though, which I believe cannot be oversimplified and directly related to an outright prohibition on tattoos in general.
The first sentence though, implies a dichotomy between the [Catholic] church and the bible. There is none… but that should be another thread…
As I understand the context of the Leviticus passage (as well as the verses around it), God was prohibiting certain acts which were obviously paganistic at that time. If you notice the verse immediately before 19:28, it forbids you to “clip your hair at the temples, nor trim the edges of your beard”. Do you have an untrimmed beard?The scripture is apart of the word of God. It strictly forbids printing marks on your body. That comes first and foremost. Nothing is suppose to be over the word of God. That scripture is plain and simple. Let’s not complicate it.
I ask what the Church says because I seek her interpretation of the Bible rather than a private interpretation….no offence intended.Instead of asking what the church says, you should ask what does the bible say.
No offense, but this is just ridiculous: the verse right before the one you quoted - that’s verse 27 - states, "Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard."Instead of asking what the church says, you should ask what does the bible say. Here are a couple of scriptures.
Leviticus 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
The bibles says not to do it and that is our guide.
Instead of asking what the church says, you should ask what does the bible say. Here are a couple of scriptures.
Leviticus 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
1 Corinthians 6:19 says “What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?”
The bibles says not to do it and that is our guide.