A
Argh
Guest
I think I might be a jerk, but I’m not sure how to rectify that.
I’ve been dating my GF for quite a while, just over three years now. A couple things have emerged now that make me question whether or not I will propose. First and foremost, I want to pursue a career in the U.S. Foreign Service. She’s not at all enthused about living abroad, however (She does have asthma and allergies, which could make living in, say, Beijing, unpleasant). In fact, she’s pretty much dead against it. I’m not sure how to get around our two divergent career interests/paths. She wants to stay very much close to home and be a therapist whereas I want to travel. I don’t know that I can propose if I don’t get an enthusiastic “yes” to living abroad, at least for a number of years.
Second, I think that I’m becoming less attracted to her. For a while, the whole “tomboy” thing was cute, but not anymore. I feel bad for being so shallow at this point in our relationship, but I can’t help thinking “I wish my GF would wear something like that or do something with her hair” when I see other girls on campus (within limits of modesty, of course).
Also, her choice of friends is…“annoying” might be the best word. Two of her closest friends are actually her ex-BF’s.
Finally, I’m not sure if we have enough common interests. Anime and gaming is cool and everything, but I like working out and figuring out the Chinese Communist Party’s minority nationality policy - she doesn’t.
I’m not sure exactly what to do or think. I don’t have any Catholic friends to ask for dating advice and it would be a shame to throw away our relationship if I’m just being a jerk about it.
I’ve been dating my GF for quite a while, just over three years now. A couple things have emerged now that make me question whether or not I will propose. First and foremost, I want to pursue a career in the U.S. Foreign Service. She’s not at all enthused about living abroad, however (She does have asthma and allergies, which could make living in, say, Beijing, unpleasant). In fact, she’s pretty much dead against it. I’m not sure how to get around our two divergent career interests/paths. She wants to stay very much close to home and be a therapist whereas I want to travel. I don’t know that I can propose if I don’t get an enthusiastic “yes” to living abroad, at least for a number of years.
Second, I think that I’m becoming less attracted to her. For a while, the whole “tomboy” thing was cute, but not anymore. I feel bad for being so shallow at this point in our relationship, but I can’t help thinking “I wish my GF would wear something like that or do something with her hair” when I see other girls on campus (within limits of modesty, of course).
Also, her choice of friends is…“annoying” might be the best word. Two of her closest friends are actually her ex-BF’s.
Finally, I’m not sure if we have enough common interests. Anime and gaming is cool and everything, but I like working out and figuring out the Chinese Communist Party’s minority nationality policy - she doesn’t.
I’m not sure exactly what to do or think. I don’t have any Catholic friends to ask for dating advice and it would be a shame to throw away our relationship if I’m just being a jerk about it.