Temporal Punishment

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cal_in_Omaha
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cal_in_Omaha

Guest
The CCC 1472 talks about “temporal punishment” of sin either here on earth or in purgatory. The term however is left undefined and is not in the Index.

I’ve heard the claim that there is no time in purgatory or in Heaven for that matter. And yet I thought the word temporal meant “of or relating to time” Help me out here, please.
 
The CCC 1472 talks about “temporal punishment” of sin either here on earth or in purgatory. The term however is left undefined and is not in the Index.

I’ve heard the claim that there is no time in purgatory or in Heaven for that matter. And yet I thought the word temporal meant “of or relating to time” Help me out here, please.
Purgatory is not permanent place like heaven or heal. Souls in purgatory are cleansed from their sins so they will be cleansed. Each Mass, souls in purgatory are taken to heaven. That is why in 2 Macc. 12:43-45

"Betook themselves unto prayer, and besought him that the sin committed might wholly be put out of remembrance. Besides, that noble Judas exhorted the people to keep themselves from sin, forsomuch as they saw before their eyes the things that came to pass for the sins of those that were slain. And when he had made a gathering throughout the company to the sum of two thousand drachms of silver, he sent it to Jerusalem to offer a sin offering, doing therein very well and honestly, in that he was mindful of the resurrection:
For if he had not hoped that they that were slain should have risen again, it had been superfluous and vain to pray for the dead. And also in that he perceived that there was great favour laid up for those that died godly, it was an holy and good thought. Whereupon he made a reconciliation for the dead, that they might be delivered from sin
.

On the Last Day, purgatory will cease to exist. The souls there will be release to go to Heaven (fellow Catholics correct me if I am wrong).
 
The CCC 1472 talks about “temporal punishment” of sin either here on earth or in purgatory. The term however is left undefined and is not in the Index.

I’ve heard the claim that there is no time in purgatory or in Heaven for that matter. And yet I thought the word temporal meant “of or relating to time” Help me out here, please.
I think I know what you’re asking. Let me see if I can clear this up.

The punishments spoken of are *temporal *in the sense that they were incurred for sins commited during this life, that is, in time. The ideal thing would be for us to atone for them in this life as well by penance and making reparation. However, if we die and go to the afterlife without these temporal sins atoned for, in justice we still need to atone for them or shed our attachment to them before we can enter heaven, where the Bible tells us nothing unclean will enter.

So even though these sins were* acquired *temporally, they can and must be purged from us outside of time, in the afterlife. This is the purpose and great mercy of Purgatory, since without this, God could rightfully deny us entry to heaven.

Hope that helps. 🙂
 
Emmanual,

I am sorry. I guess my question was not clear.

Temporal means about time. To say that we can experience temporal punishment in purgatory where, it is claimed, there is no time seems inconsistent.
  1. Why is it called temporal punishment?
  2. Exactly what is temporal punishment?
 
Fidelis,

Yes that’s exactly what I didn’t understand. I do understand now. THANKS!!!
 
Temporal is used as opposed to eternal; think temporary rather than everlasting. Temporal punishments have an end, meaning they can’t be equated with Hellfire. This used of temporal is found in dictionaries, for example it’s the third definition here:

dictionary.reference.com/browse/temporal

Peace and God bless!
 
Dear Cal,

Ghosty has given the best answer there is: “Temporal” refers to the fact that the punishment WILL END, as opposed to “eternal” which is everlasting.

Dear Fidelis,
This is the purpose and great mercy of Purgatory, since without this, God could rightfully deny us entry to heaven.
I do not agree with this statement. The Latin Church teaches that all who go to Purgatory will definitely enter heaven. I think I know what you are saying, but the way you say it makes it seem that temporal satisfaction of sins is somehow a CAUSE of salvation, when it is not. This latter is the Catholic (Western, Eastern and Oriental) belief.

Blessings,
Marduk
 
Originally Posted by Fidelis
This is the purpose and great mercy of Purgatory, since without this, God could rightfully deny us entry to heaven.

Dear Fidelis,
I do not agree with this statement. The Latin Church teaches that all who go to Purgatory will definitely enter heaven. I think I know what you are saying, but the way you say it makes it seem that temporal satisfaction of sins is somehow a CAUSE of salvation, when it is not. This latter is the Catholic (Western, Eastern and Oriental) belief.

Blessings,
Marduk
Looking over my answer, I don’t think I implied this at all. Perhaps I should have made it clearer that the temporal satisfaction of sins is a *prerequisite *for entering heaven, but only for those who are going to heaven anyway.

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify.🙂
 
Here’s a good Biblical discourse on temporal punishment:

Heb. 12:4 For you have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin: 5 And you have forgotten the consolation, which speaketh to you, as unto children, saying: My son, neglect not the discipline of the Lord; neither be thou wearied whilst thou art rebuked by him. 6 For whom the Lord loveth, he chastiseth; and he scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. 7 Persevere under discipline. God dealeth with you as with his sons; for what son is there, whom the father doth not correct? 8 But if you be without chastisement, whereof all are made partakers, then are you bastards, and not sons. 9 Moreover we have had fathers of our flesh, for instructors, and we reverenced them: shall we not much more obey the Father of spirits, and live? 10 And they indeed for a few days, according to their own pleasure, instructed us: but he, for our profit, that we might receive his sanctification. 11 Now all chastisement for the present indeed seemeth not to bring with it joy, but sorrow: but afterwards it will yield, to them that are exercised by it, the most peaceable fruit of justice.
 
Thanks to everyone for all your excellent replies. 👍

I just found this at beta1.catholicculture.org/library/dictionary/ (a redesigned web site I really like. The list of top-rated and “danger” Catholic web sites is interesting.)
**
**TEMPORAL Anything that lasts only for a time, whose existence or activity will cease. In this sense, temporal is the opposite of eternal, which lasts forever. Also applied to what is of this world, or secular, as opposed to the heavenly. Or again it may refer to the material, in contrast with the spiritual. Or finally, the temporal is commonly applied to the lay or civil, as temporal power or authority; and then the opposite is ecclesiastical. In general, the temporal is everything belonging to the limited by, or characterized by time and change. (Etym. Latin tempus, time.)
 
I believe that Purgatory may last only as long “as a twinkling of an eye” but it may seem to anyone that experiences it to be much longer.

If you don’t believe such a thing is true just ask anyone who is a boxer if a 3-minute round seems like only three minutes.

If that is the case with boxing–how much more must it be true when all the temporal debt due to sin is extracted in the purgation of sin and the effects of sin to make us perfectly Holy!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top