At the Traditional Tenebrae service tonight, we had a guest homilist who was an Anglican married Priest. Being that this is not a Mass that was concelebrated, I was just confused as to whether this was still illicit or allowable, I’m not entirely sure I’m comfortable with it either way, but I thought I’d pose the question to the forum for your thoughts. God Bless!
Thank you,
Paul
First of all, there should be no problem at all with any of the Christian faithful celebrating the Liturgy of the Hours (including Tenebrae).
However, a homily, by its very nature should be given by a priest or deacon, not a member of the laity (since Anglican orders are invalid, they are laity in the eyes of the Church).
Can. 767 §1. Among the forms of preaching, the homily, which is part of the liturgy itself and is reserved to a priest or deacon, is preeminent; in the homily the mysteries of faith and the norms of Christian life are to be explained from the sacred text during the course of the liturgical year.
That is not to say that there cannot be lay preaching, but it should not be part of a liturgical celebration (be it the Divine Office or the Mass).
Specifically, the GILH paragraph 23 says:
The task of those who are in sacred orders or who have a special canonical mission is to direct and preside over the prayer of the community…
So to turn over a part such as giving a homily to a lay person seems most inappropriate if not illicit.
Again, don’t get me wrong: I see absolutely nothing wrong with celebrating the Office with any member of the Christian Faithful, including separated brethren…to include having them in choir if they are familiar with the Office. But not in a presidential role.