Texas: Wolfe City police officer arrested for murder

• Thread starter Thread starter Victoria33
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Victoria33

We don’t have all of the facts, this though, from what I can gleam from the news, doesn’t look good per the slaying of black man Johnathan Price. More in the MSM. I just didn’t want to post any of those stories. I did not care for the sources.

Wolfe City police officer arrested for murder​

Published: Oct. 5, 2020

WOLFE CITY, Texas (KXII) - The Wolfe City police officer connected to the fatal shooting of 31-year-old Jonathan Price at a gas station Saturday night has been arrested and charged with murder.

The Texas Rangers investigation reveals that Wolfe City Officer Shaun David Lucas responded to a disturbance call at Sante Fe Street and Franklin for a possible fight in progress.

When officer Lucas arrived, he attempted to detain Price, whose family said he was breaking up a fight.
Read more at:

Last edited:
When officer Lucas arrived, he attempted to detain Price, whose family said he was breaking up a fight.
This will sound bad, but the teaching in my upbringing was to not step in and break up a fight. This teaching came from several portions of the community. For example, if two people got into a fight in school and a person tried to break them up, all three people would be arrested and taken to juvinile detention. If not involved in the fight a way to stay out of jail was to stay away from the fight.

I’m not sure if price were related to the people fighting or not.

Given what is said in the article, looks bad for the police officer.

This is at least the second shooting I have heard of that occurred when the civilian was said to have been walking or running away from the police. I wonder what police are trained to do then?

Last edited:
This will sound bad, but the teaching in my upbringing was to not step in and break up a fight.
In general, I think this is very good advice. If two people get in an argument and decide to throw down, that’s on them. If, however, the situation is totally one-sided, someone just decided to beat up a weaker person who is not able to defend him/herself, that’s a different story. Even then, you have to consider the risk before getting involved. Even if you’re trying to protect an assault victim, you could end up like Jonathan Price.

Even then, you have to consider the risk before getting involved.
Getting involved can also create a legal obligation to continue to provide assistance until the situation is over. That multiplies the problems.

This is at least the second shooting I have heard of that occurred when the civilian was said to have been walking or running away from the police. I wonder what police are trained to do then?
Shooting people in the back seems to be one of the options in America

Anyone anywhere has the option of shooting someone in the back.

It’s just not a good option.

I mean, seriously, I say I have heard or 2 cases, one the one on the OP where the LEO has been charged with murder, and you make this snarky remark?

The other LEO, by the way, was tried for murder but that ended in a hung jury. The feds charged him with civil rights violations with an underlying crime of murder and he is spending 20 years in prison.

So, not a good option.

DALLAS (AP) - A court document released Wednesday says a Black man who was fatally shot by a white police officer in a small East Texas city had offered a handshake to the officer, asking if he was “doing good,” as the officer arrived at a convenience store to check out a report of a fight.

Wolfe City police Officer Shaun Lucas has been charged with murder in the weekend death of 31-year-old Jonathan Price, whose funeral will be held Saturday at the high school football field in the city of about 1,500 people northeast of Dallas.

The Texas Rangers have said that Lucas’ actions weren’t “reasonable.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back