Texting While Driving Habit

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dolphin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you break the habit? Know that there have been many killed, often innocents like bicyclists because of texting while driving. Think! One is doing something as or almost as dangerous as drunk driving, driving under the influence actually. We had some poor girls get killed who must have taken their eyes off the road while driving, someone told me they were texting.

I did get caught using the phone while driving, So, that is a factor to me, I have no impulsive reaction to use the phone ever while driving. My first ticket in a decade or so. I paid $70. It was about a month within when I first got my mobile phone. Never had one previously.
 
I believe (as of recently) it’s a sin to text and drive and perhaps even gravely so. It’s grave matter (Cat. 2290) to drink and drive as it is a violation of the Fifth Commandment - which doesn’t only refer to killing, it also means to deliberately put yourself in danger and others too. This is no different IMO and it’s very unnecessary the majority of the time.

To me the threat of mortal sin is motivation enough to not do it.
 
No text message is worth a life or an injury.

I put my phone in the trunk of my car.
 
The threat of killing someone or injuring someone is enough to keep me from doing it even if it isn’t mortal sin.
 
Turn it off.
Put it in the back seat.

And just stop doing it. This is totally in your control. Self control.
 
I think most smart phones have either built in or an app to disable such things over a certain speed (5mph to be faster than walking?).

I’ve seen mine offer to do so, but as a confirmed cell phone hater (I’d obliterate the technology from the face of the earth if I could), I have no temptation.

The only reason that I have a smartphone is to be able to dictate texts and for navigation. Oh, OK, call screening from my address book, but that can be done with the simplest of smartphones with no data connection, so it updates from wifi at home (I’ve done that).

Hmm, also that I’ll never get my parents at their age off of Apple’s system, so . . .
 
Turn it off.
Put it in the back seat.

And just stop doing it. This is totally in your control. Self control.
Lots of great advice like this.
I want to add that anytime we are doing something that is hard for us, like this with our phone, or waiting too long in a line, what ever it is, let’s remember to say a short prayer, like Hail Mary, and offer up the effort for the conversion of sinners and peace in this world as our Mother has asked us to do at Fatima. If all of us got the habit to turn to God during the day for this intention, there would be a force for good that would be unstoppable. Catholics are the great sleeping giant that can change the course of human history.
 
Watch this video. Its message will immediately break your habit.

 
Last edited:
Could you not charge the phone the night before if the battery is getting low?

Put it on silence so it doesn’t ring, turn off the vibration function, put it out of reach somewhere - bottom of bag on seat or floor in front or rear passenger seats/ glovebox or other such compartment.

Regarding music - could you not find a pleasing music or talk back station to listen to? Or even use the time to talk to God/pray - if you’re trip is a short one ie 30 minutes or so? A rosary comes to mind here.

Need it for navigation? Then how did drivers navigate from one place to another before smartphones? As someone else suggested print out maps and directions before leaving home, or if where you are buy a map! (surely these things are still available esp for tourists).
 
Last edited:
Lock it in the glove box. If you have to look at it. Pull into a parking area.
 
Most modern cars and phones you can Bluetooth - meaning you can listen to music or what not from your phone without having to have the phone within arms reach. Just take a minute before you start the car to make a playlist that is the length of your trip. And then put the phone in the back seat.

Love my Android auto - it has voice command so if I get a text while driving I can ask it to read me the message and dictate a reply if needed.
 
You really need to stop this. Would you be able to live with yourself if you killed or seriously injured another person? Do you want one of your family members to take care of you the rest of your life because of your need to text? How would you feel if someone killed one of your loved ones because of texting? Have you thought about spending the rest of your life in prison, or in a wheelchair?
Grow up and take responsibility!!!
 
Last edited:

http://www.textingndriving.com/

Each day in the United States, approximately 9 people are killed and more than 1,000 injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver.1

Distracted driving is driving while doing another activity that takes your attention away from driving. Distracted driving can increase the chance of a motor vehicle crash.
 

I would suggest when you get to his brother – to get some tissues.
 
Last edited:
Either put the phone somewhere out of your reach (others have given the details), leave the phone at home, get rid of it altogether, or stop driving and take public transportation if that is feasible. Your life and the lives of others are at stake.
 
Last edited:
I download audiobooks from the library and listen to them through bluetooth, with ll notifications from my texts off.

In my old car, I had a fake cassette with a cord with an earbuds jack at the end to plug in.

Either way, I could put my phone out of reach.

I thought the whole point of texting instead of talking on the phone was to allow for delayed responses?

Maybe just ask the people who are texting you to call you if they need an immediate reply?
 
I have my phone by me for music/podcasts and because I charge it when I drive. I believe this is a sin to text and drive and I have confessed it once or twice. Any advice?
Depending on what country you are in it is also a crime apart from being stupid and dangerous.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top