TFP/ANF inquiry

  • Thread starter Thread starter LiliesofMaria
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LiliesofMaria

Guest
So I think a few years ago, my family found out about America Needs Fatima and signed some of their petitions and also got a free book.
They have wonderful saint quotes and some pretty good values and I don’t think we’ve given any money but it was recently brought to my attention that they are connected with TFP which is connected to the Brazilian TFP which was condemned as a cult.
I was looking around here and saw some people’s replies from Dr. Caroll who doesn’t deny the Bishop’s claims but says that perhaps it is good to support the main Fatima message while not supporting their work. I’d assume this means not giving money and joining in rallies?
Question: (and this may sound stupid) I know the difference between cult and occult but would receiving emails from them or supporting their petitions be a sin? Is a cult a sin?
I’d like to pass this info on to some people.
 
Last edited:
As far as I know the American TFP is not in any way connected to any cults. The Brazilian TFP might for all I know but I don’t think the American TFP is like that. I know a few folks belonging to the American TFP and they are the kind of folks who would flee from any cult-like leanings.
 
It’s my understanding that the TFP for each country is autonomous, so the US TFP wouldn’t be connected to the Brazilian one other than using the same name. The Brazilian TFP was called a “cult of personality” because it had a founder with some weird ideas, but he died way back in the 90s.

EWTN still has this response up with some of its apologists endorsing the American TFP.

http://www.ewtn.com/v/experts/showmessage.asp?number=517013

With respect to ANF, all I’ve ever seen them do is organize rosary rallies in USA and march around with a statue of Our Lady. They show up at big rosary events and hand out bumper stickers and bring a Fatima statue. They were also handing out “free” (you pay shipping) Fatima anniversary rosaries via putting a flyer in local churches and I was considering getting one but haven’t gotten around to it yet. I assume getting a rosary would put me on their mailing list to get 1,000,000 requests for donations since that’s usually what seems to happen when I have any interaction requiring an address with these groups. I would probably not go sending them any money, but praying a Rosary is harmless and free.
 
Last edited:
Just to add on - the one thing I have read is that the Brazilian TFP is anti-liberation theology and the American TFP sends them financial support (this is shown on a bunch of their public tax returns) and agrees with their position against liberation theology on the basis that such theology is Marxist.

So again, maybe just don’t give money but praying and signing petitions is okay.

I personally like to see my money used in the USA unless it’s going directly to help poor people, like buy a cow for a mission or put in a water system…I don’t donate for political stuff in South or Latin America, that’s just too weird for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top