The Agony In The Garden

  • Thread starter Thread starter NihilObstatINRI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, there is an archaeologist who makes her case that the Grotto of the Agony could indeed be the place where Jesus and His disciples stayed during the night of His arrest (the Synoptics notably never mention a ‘garden’, and John only uses the word kēpos, a general term meaning ‘a cultivated tract of land’). And yes, the cave is reached by a long corridor to the right of the courtyard leading to the traditional Tomb of the Virgin.
I read in that same article that it’s quite likely Jesus and His disciples spent a lot of time there. I hadn’t realized, but it’s right at the base of the Mount of Olives.
Guess I should spend some time on my Biblical geography, eh? 😃 This stuff is too important to miss.
 
Yes, I do mean the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite.

I haven’t done any research on St Joseph being buried in Gethsemane. I haven’t read any of the Church Fathers to prove or disprove this.

Where is the Basilica, in Ephesus?

Thank you for your response.
Some of what you write sounds consistent with the Eastern Rite, an Orthodix denomination (from Armenia originally, I think) in communion with Rome. They accept the accounts of the “Theotokos” which include Mary’s death and burial before her Assumption – according to the story she chose to expereince death, “Dormition”, even if immediately afterward being resurrected an taken into heaven. This account says that she wanted her burial to be in Gethsemane near her parents and near Joseph. There are two small Churches off the descent to her empty tomb in Gethsemane, one for her parents, one for St. Joseph.

newsfinder.org/site/more/the_dormition_of_theotokos/
 
Some of what you write sounds consistent with the Eastern Rite, an Orthodix denomination (from Armenia originally, I think) in communion with Rome. They accept the accounts of the “Theotokos” which include Mary’s death and burial before her Assumption – according to the story she chose to expereince death, “Dormition”, even if immediately afterward being resurrected an taken into heaven. This account says that she wanted her burial to be in Gethsemane near her parents and near Joseph. There are two small Churches off the descent to her empty tomb in Gethsemane, one for her parents, one for St. Joseph.

newsfinder.org/site/more/the_dormition_of_theotokos/
That was an very interesting article. I was surprised to read that Gethsemane consisted of caves. More so, that Sts Anne, Joachim and Joseph are buried there.

Thank you, Peter John, NihilObstatINRI and patrick457. I’ve learned a lot from your respones.
🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top