J
Jesus_Freak_357
Guest
I’ve noticed a few Catholics posting this and I wanted to know if it’s widely accepted. Do Catholics believe that we(all Christians) recieved the Bible from them? Please comment!
A Protestant minister’s view: Where We Got the Bible: Our Debt to the Catholic ChurchI’ve noticed a few Catholics posting this and I wanted to know if it’s widely accepted. Do Catholics believe that we(all Christians) recieved the Bible from them? Please comment!![]()
The Old Testament came from the Jews. The New Testament from Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John which were chosen from selected writings about 400AD.I’ve noticed a few Catholics posting this and I wanted to know if it’s widely accepted. Do Catholics believe that we(all Christians) recieved the Bible from them? Please comment!![]()
The Short answer is Yes, the Bible (NT) as ti is universally accepted today is a product of the Action of the Holy Spirit working through councils of the Catholic (Universal) Church.I’ve noticed a few Catholics posting this and I wanted to know if it’s widely accepted. Do Catholics believe that we(all Christians) recieved the Bible from them? Please comment!![]()
If them, you mean a council of Catholic Bishops that defined a 73 book table of contents for the Bible, then yes.I’ve noticed a few Catholics posting this and I wanted to know if it’s widely accepted. Do Catholics believe that we(all Christians) recieved the Bible from them? Please comment!![]()
The Catholic Church compiled the books and organized them and did the research and study to determine which books made up the bible.I’ve noticed a few Catholics posting this and I wanted to know if it’s widely accepted. Do Catholics believe that we(all Christians) recieved the Bible from them? Please comment!![]()
But it is important to acknowledge that this was not the work of men. This was the work of the Holy Spirit who guided men to do God’s will.The Catholic Church compiled the books and organized them and did the research and study to determine which books made up the bible.
Certainly, the Holy Spririt guided the authors, no question about that.But it is important to acknowledge that this was not the work of men. This was the work of the Holy Spirit who guided men to do God’s will.
I would say that the Bible was recieved by men from God through God’s Holy Catholic Church. I would say that the Catholic Church was more of a conduit through which God transmitted his written word to men, rather than the producer of it.
-Tim-
Dear JF,I’ve noticed a few Catholics posting this and I wanted to know if it’s widely accepted. Do Catholics believe that we(all Christians) received the Bible from them? Please comment!![]()
These anwsers are actually really helpful. Thank you for asking.Dear JF,
Are the answers helpful so far?
What is your view of the development of the Bible?
Peace
James
The funny thing is that most Catholics would agree with you, I think.These anwsers are actually really helpful. Thank you for asking.
As far as my view on how the Bible was developed, I believe that it was written by men divinely inspired by the Holy Spirit. I believe that the early Christian church recognized what was Scripture, but did not establish it. Basically, it discovered what was already authentic. In John 10:27, Jesus said “My sheep hear my voice and they follow me.”![]()
YES!=Jesus Freak 357;8059453]I’ve noticed a few Catholics posting this and I wanted to know if it’s widely accepted. Do Catholics believe that we(all Christians) recieved the Bible from them? Please comment!![]()
Yes, and these men were all Catholics.These anwsers are actually really helpful. Thank you for asking.
As far as my view on how the Bible was developed, I believe that it was written by men divinely inspired by the Holy Spirit. I believe that the early Christian church recognized what was Scripture, but did not establish it. Basically, it discovered what was already authentic. In John 10:27, Jesus said “My sheep hear my voice and they follow me.”![]()
These men, who were inspired by the Holy Spirit, were Catholics. They baptized, heard confessions, administered confirmation, ordained men, perforemed marriages, blessed the sick and dying and officiated at the Mass where, through the grace of their priesthood, changed the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ.These anwsers are actually really helpful. Thank you for asking.
As far as my view on how the Bible was developed, I believe that it was written by men divinely inspired by the Holy Spirit. I believe that the early Christian church recognized what was Scripture, but did not establish it. Basically, it discovered what was already authentic. In John 10:27, Jesus said “My sheep hear my voice and they follow me.”![]()
These apostles might have been catholics in a sense because it was used to describe Christians in the early 2nd century. BUT, they did not teach certain modern Catholic doctrines such as purgatory, penance, salvation+works+baptism, etc.These men, who were inspired by the Holy Spirit, were Catholics. They baptized, heard confessions, administered confirmation, ordained men, perforemed marriages, blessed the sick and dying and officiated at the Mass where, through the grace of their priesthood, changed the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ.
What exactly do you mean when you say the early Christian church (which answered to the Pope and, therefore, Catholic) “recognized what was Scripture but did not establish it”? Jesus did not write the New Testament. What Christ did do was initiate the sacraments. Adhering to the word of God is important but Christ said he who eats My Flesh and drinks My Blood shall have ever lasting life.
The basis of your church started 1500 years after Christ. How can it be that 30,000 Protestant sects all think their church is the right one so many centuries after Christ? Doesn’t that seem strange? If you look at the apostles, who did perform Masses, and read the writings of the church fathers, you’ll see the Catholic Church is doing exactly what they did 2011 years ago.
Actually you will likely find, as you study and question more, that the very early church did indeed teach, if not full blown doctrines, at least rudimentary concepts of these things.These apostles might have been catholics in a sense because it was used to describe Christians in the early 2nd century. BUT, they did not teach certain modern Catholic doctrines such as purgatory, penance, salvation+works+baptism, etc.
While to a certain extent this is true, It is fairly well known that different regions of the Church were using different books and accepted them as “inspired scripture” but some of these did not make it into the NT - one widely used book was the Shepherd of Hermes. ON the other hand there was at least one book that was NOT widely used and even frowned upon in many places yet was included int he canon…That being the Book of Revelation.About your question. What I mean by “they recognized what was scripture, but did not establish it” is that the scripture did not need to be deemed worthy by men. The documents in themselves carry power and authenticity because they are inspired by the Holy Spirit.
I have had many conversations with Protestants who like to say how they are “united on essentials” but in fact are unable to come up with a universally accepted list of just what those essentials are. I don’t say this to be contrary or to dismiss what you say, but in point of fact, The Bible points much more forcefully to unity, visible unity, in ALL things much more than it points to some vague “unity on essentials”.About your last paragraph, just because a movement starts late doesn’t mean that it is any less true. Also, the Bible allows us to have differences of opinion(Rom. 14:1-5). I believe that Christians are united under the essentials of Christianity and divided because of the non-essentials. Thus denominations are created.![]()
These apostles might have been catholics in a sense because it was used to describe Christians in the early 2nd century. BUT, they did not teach certain modern Catholic doctrines such as purgatory, penance, salvation+works+baptism, etc.
Didn’t they? Are you sure? Have you checked?These apostles might have been catholics in a sense because it was used to describe Christians in the early 2nd century. BUT, they did not teach certain modern Catholic doctrines such as purgatory, penance, salvation+works+baptism, etc.
But what are the essentials?About your last paragraph, just because a movement starts late doesn’t mean that it is any less true. Also, the Bible allows us to have differences of opinion(Rom. 14:1-5). I believe that Christians are united under the essentials of Christianity and divided because of the non-essentials. Thus denominations are created.![]()