J
jmcrae
Guest
They taught what the Catholic Church continues to teach today. The teachings have never changed, although certainly our understanding has developed over time, and we use words that they didn’t use, like “Trinity,” and “Bible,” and “Sacrament,” among others.These apostles might have been catholics in a sense because it was used to describe Christians in the early 2nd century. BUT, they did not teach certain modern Catholic doctrines such as purgatory, penance, salvation+works+baptism, etc.
As to “salvation+works+baptism,” it was Jesus who said, “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age,” (Matthew 28:19-20) and it was Jesus who said, “Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.” (Matthew 25:41-43)
If the Church teaches “salvation+works+baptism” it is because Jesus taught it, first. He did not dilute His gospel into a Four Spiritual Laws tract, so we don’t see any call to do so, either.
But what we really teach is that we are all saved by the grace of God, given at Calvary by Jesus Christ on the Cross, and that everything we do in response to this is but a small token of the debt we owe - we are saved by Christ; not by anything we do.