The Bible: The Epic Miniseries...and others

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tous_Logous
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tous_Logous

Guest
…Has anyone seen all of it? And if so, is it worth watching? I’ve been avoiding it, not sure if I want to bother seeing it or not. But now since I saw the trailer for “Son of God (2014)” (made by the same people who produced “The Bible” for TV), my interest has resurfaced. I know some complained about the “ninja” angels and dreadlocks on John the Baptist-as well as a multitude of other things. Does it at least do a good job of condensing biblical material and making it at least enjoyable to viewers?

I think 2014 is going to be the year of Biblical-themed movies. We have “Son of God” with the same tv people who made “The Bible,” “Noah” with Russell Crowe, “Exodus” with Christian Bale, and another possible future film done by Mel Gibson. Makes me wonder how far or close the producers will stray from biblical material. “Son of God” looks the most promising from the trailer and I’m not sure what to make of “Noah.” I can only wonder what “Exodus” will be like. I’m wondering what the deal is with Hollywood becoming interested in the stories of the Bible again, especially since “Noah” and “Exodus” are directed by atheist/agnostic film-makers.

Sometimes I feel like I should just stick with the originals (“The Ten Commandments,” “Jesus of Nazareth,” “The Greatest Story Ever Told,” “A.D.” etc.). Those are just my random thoughts but maybe someone else has an interest in this stuff other than me?
 
I did not like that bible mini series. I did see Mary of Nazareth on Netflix though and I liked that.
 
I really didn’t care for the series. I think that overall the show’s content was close to the Bible, but it was just too watered down for me. They crammed too many stories into one episode. I think the series might be a good introduction to the bible for children, but that is about it.
 
I didn’t understand their reasoning for some of the stuff they left in and some they left out. It was weird to me. Plus the acting is … ugh. And some of the costumes are kind of stupid…it just isn’t that well produced I don’t think. Some of it seems PC to me too.
 
I really didn’t care for the series. I think that overall the show’s content was close to the Bible, but it was just too watered down for me. They crammed too many stories into one episode. I think the series might be a good introduction to the bible for children, but that is about it.
For children? Lord no!

Have you seen how graphic and violent it is? I’m halfway through the series. Aside from the butchering of the OT (racing through it, but even the stories they choose to cover are greatly shortened and simplified), they really only take time and focus for showing bloody action scenes.

It’s a focus on bloodlust with very little of Scripture. And I can’t see how it’s possible that they are conveying anything other than a violent and vengeful God, with no complexity or redeeming qualities.

So shallow, and conveying only the negative. A travesty. And wildly inappropriate for children.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top