The Biblical Canon Debate

  • Thread starter Thread starter Toten
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Toten

Guest
I am trying to look into the debate between Catholics and Protestants on the issue of Biblical canon. I would like to get both side of the argument. Would any of you be as so kind as to dirict me to were I can get both sides?
 
I am trying to look into the debate between Catholics and Protestants on the issue of Biblical canon. I would like to get both side of the argument. Would any of you be as so kind as to dirict me to were I can get both sides?
Just to clarify, the debate is not between Catholics and Protestants, it is between Protestants on the one side and all other Christians on the other side. Assuming you’re talking about the deuterocanonical books.
 
go to the library or a good catholic book store and look for Augustine’s “De Doctrina Christiana” or “On Christian Teaching” - it might be available online, too. A few pages into Book Two he lays out the canon (I don’t think it was formalized yet) and WHY those books in general (not in particular) are in the canon.

Keep in mind that Augustine is a saint that protestants often like to claim.
 
Just to clarify, the debate is not between Catholics and Protestants, it is between Protestants on the one side and all other Christians on the other side. Assuming you’re talking about the deuterocanonical books.
Not the Deuterocanonical books in specific but the canon in general. I am reading a book on Sola Scriptora/Sacred Tradition and it brought up the “How do you determine The Biblical canon?” thing and I was wondering what both sides had to say about it with regard to the Sola Scriptora/Sacred Tradition issue?
 
Just to clarify, the debate is not between Catholics and Protestants, it is between Protestants on the one side and all other Christians on the other side. Assuming you’re talking about the deuterocanonical books.
Well, I am reading an essay on the issue of Sola Scriptora/Sacred Tradition and the Canon was one of the "Tradition"s brought up. The author weakly alluded to the fact that Protestants have an argument on this in attempts to maintain Sola Scriptora. This is really where my intrests lay in this and not so much the deutercanonical books, though as part of the biblical canon (depending on who you talk to) one would assume that it would fall into the discussion as well.
 
It seems you are looking for something on the formation of the canon. Try Bruce Metzger’s Canon of the New Testament for a Protestant perspective or Henry Graham’s Where we Got the Bible
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top