The Blessed Mother

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrooklynBoy200
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrooklynBoy200

Guest
I don’t know if this should be here but i’m in a hurry so i just put it here. I have a friend who is Jewish, but she is very respectful of other religions, and she calls Mary the Blessed Mother. Is this ok? I’m not sure why but it just sounded wrong to have someone Jewish refer to her by the title. Like if i were to call Zeus or some other fake deity god . Not saying that Mary is fake, or a deity, but i’m sure you catch my meaning. Like refering to her as The Blessed Mother even though she doesn’t believe her to be The Blessed Mother.
 
I don’t know if this should be here but i’m in a hurry so i just put it here. I have a friend who is Jewish, but she is very respectful of other religions, and she calls Mary the Blessed Mother. Is this ok? I’m not sure why but it just sounded wrong to have someone Jewish refer to her by the title. Like if i were to call Zeus or some other fake deity god . Not saying that Mary is fake, or a deity, but i’m sure you catch my meaning. Like refering to her as The Blessed Mother even though she doesn’t believe her to be The Blessed Mother.
If she is speaking of Mary in a respectful manner, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your friend referrring to her as the Blessed Mother. Be grateful that she, a Jew, shows more understanding than many Protestant Christians do. 🙂
 
I don’t know if this should be here but i’m in a hurry so i just put it here. I have a friend who is Jewish, but she is very respectful of other religions, and she calls Mary the Blessed Mother. Is this ok? I’m not sure why but it just sounded wrong to have someone Jewish refer to her by the title. Like if i were to call Zeus or some other fake deity god . Not saying that Mary is fake, or a deity, but i’m sure you catch my meaning. Like refering to her as The Blessed Mother even though she doesn’t believe her to be The Blessed Mother.
Wow! recognition for our Blessed Mother, Mary by a non-Catholic… sounds okay to me as long as she isn’t saying it sarcastically (though you gave no impression of that). Sounds she is very respectful of your beliefs and trying to connect with you through your vernacular… Or maybe she does actually believe??? Why not just simply have a conversation WITH HER about it? And get the straight facts from her?
 
She’s a very devout jew, she just respects the titles given to certain religious people.
Another question that is not really related:
Is Christ a title given to Jesus? Or is it part of His name? Because i hear christians and non-christians saying Jesus Christ in reference to Him.
 
She’s a very devout jew, she just respects the titles given to certain religious people.
Another question that is not really related:
Is Christ a title given to Jesus? Or is it part of His name? Because i hear christians and non-christians saying Jesus Christ in reference to Him.
The word “Christ” comes from the Greek word Christos, The Greek is a translation of the Hebrew messiah which means “the anointed one”. Jesus is the Christ, the Anointed One of God. Part of the ritual of our baptism is to be anointed (christened) as co-heirs in THE Anointed One of His Kingdom.
 
I find it a bit odd, but refreshing that your friend refers to Our Lady as the Blessed Mother. I would agree there is nothing wrong with it as long as she is not being sarcastic. Most Jews I’ve spoken with have either completely neutral feelings toward Jesus (they really don’t give Him a thought) and some of them actually say some pretty unkind things about Him. Never have a seen a Jew put Jesus or Mary in that sort of positive light that you are talking about. I would guess that your friend is trying to be courteous toward you. If she were around a group of her Jewish friends, I’m not sure she would refer to Mary in this way.
 
Holy Mary, pray for us.
Holy Mother of God,
Holy Virgin of virgins,
Mother of Christ,
Mother of the Church,
Mother of divine grace,
Mother most pure,
Mother most chaste,
Mother inviolate,
Mother undefiled,
Mother most amiable,
Mother most admirable,
Mother of good counsel,
Mother of our Creator,
Mother of our Savior,
Virgin most prudent,
Virgin most venerable,
Virgin most renowned,
Virgin most powerful,
Virgin most merciful,
Virgin most faithful,
Mirror of justice,
Seat of wisdom,
Cause of our joy,
Spiritual vessel,
Vessel of honor,
Singular vessel of devotion,
Mystical rose,
Tower of David,
Tower of ivory,
House of gold,
Ark of the covenant,
Gate of heaven,
Morning star,
Health of the sick,
Refuge of sinners,
Comforter of the afflicted,
Help of Christians,
Queen of angels,
Queen of patriarchs,
Queen of prophets,
Queen of apostles,
Queen of martyrs,
Queen of confessors,
Queen of virgins,
Queen of all saints,
Queen conceived without original sin,
Queen assumed into heaven,
Queen of the most holy Rosary,
Queen of families
Queen of peace.

I think its just fine that she calls her Blessed Mother. Ask her why she does.
Let us know.
 
I think Our Blessed Mother will lead your friend to Our Lord. Entrust her to Mary!
 
I don’t know if this should be here but i’m in a hurry so i just put it here. I have a friend who is Jewish, but she is very respectful of other religions, and she calls Mary the Blessed Mother. Is this ok? I’m not sure why but it just sounded wrong to have someone Jewish refer to her by the title. Like if i were to call Zeus or some other fake deity god . Not saying that Mary is fake, or a deity, but i’m sure you catch my meaning. Like refering to her as The Blessed Mother even though she doesn’t believe her to be The Blessed Mother.
I must say, it’s a true pleasure to hear of our Blessed Mother referred to with a respectful title by a non-Christian. (unless she is a Messianic Jew maybe?)

I often hear Protestants refer to our Mother as simply Mary, a vessel God used to bring Jesus into the world. Others have actually gone to the point of saying “Why pray to Mary, she’s dead?” :mad:

I could almost scream at the lack of respect Mary recieves from from them. Paul is given much more respect than the Blessed Mother of God by them. :eek:

I’d like to thank you for sharing this with us, it’s truly heart warming to hear Mary spoken of this way from someone other than we Catholics or the Orthodox Church.👍

With love and have a Blessed Christmas,
George
 
I must say, it’s a true pleasure to hear of our Blessed Mother referred to with a respectful title by a non-Christian. (unless she is a Messianic Jew maybe?)

I often hear Protestants refer to our Mother as simply Mary, a vessel God used to bring Jesus into the world. Others have actually gone to the point of saying “Why pray to Mary, she’s dead?” :mad:

I could almost scream at the lack of respect Mary recieves from from them. Paul is given much more respect than the Blessed Mother of God by them. :eek:

I’d like to thank you for sharing this with us, it’s truly heart warming to hear Mary spoken of this way from someone other than we Catholics or the Orthodox Church.👍

With love and have a Blessed Christmas,
George
I know what you mean. It really doesn’t bother me when folks say bad things about the Church, but when they start picking at Mary it really gets my dander up. I guess because as a Catholic I was raised to think of her as my own spiritual mother and there’s just a law that says that you don’t badmouth someone’s mother.
It’s interesting to me that some fallen away Catholics still pray the rosary and are still very protective of the Blessed Mother.
I think that it’s wonderful that a Jewish woman is respectful of Mary and of course, there’s some thought that Jewish women make the best moms and that’s why God chose Mary…to make sure that His Son would have a Jewish Mother, then Jesus gave her to us so we ALL have a Jewish mother, including my Irish mother!
 
Non Catholic argument:

but I still can’t see how she could be my mother.

Catholic response:

Do you have the same trouble understanding how God could be your Father? I’m sure you know that the Bible says that Jesus is our Brother (Hebrews 2:11), which makes God our Father (Galatians 4:5-6). Well, if Jesus is our Brother and His Father is our Father, then surely His Mother is our Mother as well. Brothers have the same father and mother (unless they are half-brothers, but the Bible never calls us Jesus’ half-brothers).

😃

Had Jesus not become Incarnate, we could never have become His brothers and sisters, since we become such by our union with His human nature. But in His Incarnation, Jesus has a Mother, Mary. So Mary must be our Mother too.
 
Damascus said:
NON Catholic argument:

But our rebirth is spiritual, and Mary only gave birth to Jesus in the flesh. Jesus does not communicate to us the physical life which He derived from Mary.

Catholic response:

This smacks of Gnosticism, an early heresy which denied the Incarnation and hoped for a purely spiritual salvation. The Bible, on the other hand, clearly teaches that our salvation is both physical and spiritual by virtue of Jesus’ Incarnation.

Human beings are both physical and spiritual, a body and a soul. Our Lord assumed our human nature - both a human body and a human soul - in order to save us. The Incarnation actually made the Atonement possible; Jesus’ physical Blood has redeemed us (Eph 1:7, Col 1:14, Heb 9:12, 1 Pet 1:2, 1 Jn 1:7, Rev 5:9), His bodily wounds and sufferings have redeemed us: “By his bruises we are healed” (Is 53:5).

Jesus actually saves us by uniting us to His own Humanity! Thus the Bible says that the redeemed are members of His Body (Ephesians 5:29-32), and that our bodies are members of Christ (I Corinthians 6:15). We are truly united to Jesus’ glorified human Body, which is the same exact Body which He drew from Mary, and in which He suffered and died (as He proved by the scars in his hands, feet and side: Luke 24:39-40; John 20:20, 27).

We even bear His resurrection life within our very bodies until the Last Day, when Jesus will finally redeem and glorify our bodies (John 6:54; Rom 8:23 Phil 3:21). Our Redemption is not a purely “spiritual” reality; it most definitely has a physical aspect as well.

The Incarnation is inseparable from the Redemption. We receive life from Christ through His Sacred Humanity, which He received from Mary! So Jesus’ Mother is our Mother as well, for He drew from her the same flesh to which we are united in the Body of Christ
👍 👍
:clapping: :tiphat: :clapping:
 
Non Catholic argument:

If Jesus intended His statement “Behold your mother” to apply to all Christians, that would mean that every Christian would have to take Mary “into his care” as St. John did (vs. 27).

Catholic response:
The word “care” in John 19:27 was added in by translators; it does not appear in the original text! The original Greek reads “eis ta idia”. “Eis” means “for” or “as”; “ta idia” means “one’s own, my own, your own, his own, her own, our own, or their own”, depending on the context (this context clearly indicates “his own”, meaning “John’s own”).

🙂
So this verse literally says that John took Mary “for his own” or “as his own”. This is what Jesus wants us to do as well; not to take Mary “into our care” but to take her “for our own”; to accept her as our Mother in Christ. She is His gift to us, how can we spurn His gift?
 
Off topic and derailed discussion being split into it’s own thread.
MF
 
All Catholic teachings on Mary derive from the fact that she is the mother of Christ, the New Eve, and the mother of all Christians. Throughout the centuries, the Church has deepened its understanding of these truths, just as the Church took centuries to deepen its understanding of the Trinity and the Hypostatic Union.

Also, Jude refers to an incident in his letter involing the archangel Michael, Satan, and the body of Moses. This is from an apocryphal work called the Assumption of Moses, which was written around the 1st century B.C. There was no written record of this before that and no mention of it in the Bible. It must have come down through an oral tradition.

God Bless,
Michael
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top