IOW, it is in the canon of scripture, ergo God inspired.
No dispute about that.
I was left with the distinct impression you didn’t take it literally. Which suggest to me you don’t think it happened or you don’t think it happened as scripture states.
I don’t know what happened. I do not think that any part of Genesis can be described as historical without very heavy qualifications. But that’s neither here nor there.
As I said, Luther didn’t deny any of these things. Yet he still said that heretics shouldn’t be burned. Hence, he clearly didn’t mean what you are talking about.
You are then left with the argument that Luther was talking about one thing and the Pope was correcting him because his words could be taken to mean something Luther didn’t intend.
That’s extremely far-fetched. There is no evidence for this interpretation whatever. It makes no sense in the historical context.
Luther could care less what the pope thought and he said as much. Remember, I was the one who gave the link to Luther’s letter on tranlation. Where he admits adding alone where it wasn’t before. And he would listen to NO ONE because he was Dr Martin Luther and he would have it so.
And I’m the one who pointed out that this was not his reason, but simply a rhetorical flourish before he gave his actual rationale for the translation:shrug:
here’s what made no sense to me.
You made both statements
- Luther (unlike me) had no problem with the idea that God literally burns people.
- Luther denied that burning heretics was the will of the Spirit,
Why doesn’t that make sense? Luther clearly was referring to the burning of heretics by Christian civil authorities as a punishment for the crime of heresy, with the full approval and collaboration of the Church. This was an established fact in his day, which few people questioned. Those who did question it were considered dangerous radicals. Erasmus questioned it, but had to backtrack after the outbreak of the Reformation because of the more conservative, suspicious attitude of the hierarchy in the 1520s (and he, quite rightly in my opinion, blamed the Protestants for provoking this backlash).
I’m saying you automatically assume every heretic is turned over for death.
Not at all. I believe–not assume, but believe based on good evidence–that the standard practice was to hand over for death any heretic who either refused to repent or repeatedly went back to heresy after claiming to repent.
Deep down you think when the canon says exterminate, exterminate = kill. And it doesn’t.
There’s no “deep down.” I never argued that extermino (not “exterminate”) has to mean “kill.” I now realize, as I did not but should have, that “expel” is a perfectly good translation of “extermino” and not as tendentious and whitewashing as I at first thought. But that doesn’t change the indisputable historical fact that the standard way of dealing with heretics during this period was to attempt to get them to repent, and if they didn’t (or if they repeatedly relapsed) hand them over to civil authorities for execution.
Where is your evidence for heretics being expelled rather than executed? Where is your evidence for the Church telling civil authorities, “When we handed over heretic X, we thought you were just going to show him to the borders, but you executed him instead–that was cruel and harsh of you and we won’t hand over any more heretics if you keep doing that!” On the contrary, Aquinas says explicitly that impenitent/relapsed heretics should be “expelled from the world by death” (see, I’m using the “expel” translation of “extermino” even though New Advent translates the word as “exterminate” in that context, and it’s still clear that Aquinas is talking about killing!). And no one was shocked. No one said, “no, that’s not the teaching of the Church.” Aquinas’ opinion was the standard position of the Church from the twelfth through the seventeenth century, if not the nineteenth.
In Germany, at the time, who started and led the executuions against who?
Of heretics, you mean?
I know that some Dominicans were burned for faking a Marian apparition denying the Immaculate Conception. I don’t know, off the top of my head, of other burnings going on in Germany in the 1510s. There was not a lot of heresy running rampant in Germany at the time, which was one of the reasons Luther was such a shock to everyone. I don’t have access to a list of everyone burned at the stake as a heretic. Wikipedia does have such a list but it’s pretty clearly not complete. The last pre-Reformation entries they have are Savonarola and a certain “Joshua Weissock,” both from 1498. I don’t know anything about Weissock. I do know that Hans Bohm, the Drummer of Niklashausen, was executed as a heretic in 1476. Bohm, like Savonarola, was a populist rabble-rouser whose claims of private revelation had political implications. If we’re talking just Germany, those are the only examples I know of (Savonarola obviously isn’t Germany). There was at least one (I think more but I’m not sure) Lollard executed in England in the 1510s.
After the Reformation, there were several burnings in 1523 of people who were influenced by Luther’s teachings, and some other burnings in the early 1520s in England of people who may have been Lollards or early Protestants or both. After that, alas, the pace of death started to quicken.
Edwin