The case from miracles

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mikaele
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mikaele

Guest
Is it possible to argue for the truth of the Catholic Church by using the case of miracles? I know there are miracles in other churches and religions, but as far as I know, they are not as large scale as say Fatima, or well known as Padre Pio… what do you think?
 
Is it possible to argue for the truth of the Catholic Church by using the case of miracles? I know there are miracles in other churches and religions, but as far as I know, they are not as large scale as say Fatima, or well known as Padre Pio… what do you think?
Mt 16:4 A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign;

Probably not a good idea.
 
Is it possible to argue for the truth of the Catholic Church by using the case of miracles? I know there are miracles in other churches and religions, but as far as I know, they are not as large scale as say Fatima, or well known as Padre Pio… what do you think?
I don’t think it is possible to mount an arguement on the truth of specific Catholic doctrine using miracles as evidence, because belief in the miracle requires belief in the authority of the Church who judged the event miraculous, which is circular logic.
 
Is it possible to argue for the truth of the Catholic Church by using the case of miracles? I know there are miracles in other churches and religions, but as far as I know, they are not as large scale as say Fatima, or well known as Padre Pio… what do you think?
Hello!

Yes, The Bible says that Jesus performs the work to an end. These works testify Jesus is the Son of God.

John Chapter 5:36 But I have testimony greater than John’s. The works that the Father gave me to accomplish, these works that I perform testify on my behalf that the Father has sent me. 37 Moreover, the Father who sent me has testified on my behalf. But you have never heard his voice nor seen his form, 38 and you do not have his word remaining in you, because you do not believe in the one whom he has sent.

20 million people visit each year, Guadalupe in Mexico

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Guadalupe

Fratel Cosimo Scoglio (Italy) has appearances of Jesus and the Virgin Mary in modern times.
Julia Kim of South Korea has appearances of Jesus and the Virgin Mary in modern times.

There were signs and in these places.
There is and was wonder at these places.

Eucharistic miracles (host becomes blood ,…)
Healing miracles (lame are going ,…)

Christian
christiankiesl090676.wordpress.com/
 
JESUS performed miracles “…that you may know and believe…” paraphrase - for the Apostles and HIS followers. Even with the miracles, the Pharisee (well majority) did not accept JESUS as GOD, so I don’t think miracles today will work any better.

One very significant truth of /for/ to support the Church is 2010 years with roots that can be traced from Pope Benedict XVI straight back to Peter and JESUS. Any “other” christian church can only trace its roots back to a certain time in history when it “broke” from the Catholic Church.
 
I think there might be a negative case to make, in that if there were no prophetic gifts, miracles, etc. in the Church in recent times, that would be a bad sign, but I’m not sure that miracles prove that the Catholic Church is right. I think the continuous miraculous signs throughout the ages can help to confirm that the Holy Spirit has not abandoned the Church, at least for those people that might be inclined to think along those lines.

I suppose it depends somewhat on the person: some people may need evidence of miraculous signs to convince them to consider the Catholic Church, so certainly for those people the well-attested cases of Lourdes, etc. may help them to believe. But, of course, sceptics are likely to be sceptical of those miracles as well as the biblical miracles.
 
Well I can say that in my own life, reading about Eucharistic miracles really deepened my own conviction of the Real Presence. And I know it has so for others.
 
And in reading of various Saints and miracles, I’ve noticed that Our Lady hasn’t appeared much to other Christians, even our Orthodox brethren. And Catholic Saints just seem to perform greater miracles than anyone else. Does this sound absurd to you?
 
I repeat what Jesus said (an earlier poster quoted it too but they were ignored):

Matt 16:4

An evil and unfaithful generation seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah."

When people were claiming Medjugorie is true and they wanted it approved, Pope Benedict XI, while he was Cardinal Ratzinger, said it was a hoax and people should stop looking for signs. Everything needed for our salvation can be found through Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition, and The Magesterium.
 
Miracles are actual events. Jesus performed them and they show that God is God, not some man-made idea. The Congregation for the Causes of Saints examines miracles today. It consults doctors or other experts, collects documentation and witness testimony. It takes as long as it needs to.

The outside world rejects miracles because they might provide evidence of the work of God. Right now, people are waiting for the necessary two miracles that may elevate Pope John Paul II to sainthood. This is not a trivial thing. God does not require human technology.

God bless,
Ed
 
I repeat what Jesus said (an earlier poster quoted it too but they were ignored):

Matt 16:4

An evil and unfaithful generation seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah."

When people were claiming Medjugorie is true and they wanted it approved, Pope Benedict XI, while he was Cardinal Ratzinger, said it was a hoax and people should stop looking for signs. Everything needed for our salvation can be found through Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition, and The Magesterium.
Hello!

Luke Chapter 19 36 As he rode along, the people were spreading their cloaks on the road; 37 and now as he was approaching the slope of the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of his disciples began to praise God aloud with joy for all the mighty deeds they had seen.

John 12: 17 So the crowd that was with him when he called Lazarus from the tomb and raised him from death continued to testify.

Many people visit these places because of the miracle.

When Jesus moved in Jerusalem, many also came because of the miracle. See Luke and John.

Christian
 
Hello!

Luke Chapter 19 36 As he rode along, the people were spreading their cloaks on the road; 37 and now as he was approaching the slope of the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of his disciples began to praise God aloud with joy for all the mighty deeds they had seen.

John 12: 17 So the crowd that was with him when he called Lazarus from the tomb and raised him from death continued to testify.

Many people visit these places because of the miracle.

When Jesus moved in Jerusalem, many also came because of the miracle. See Luke and John.

Christian
What’s your point?

Jesus told us not to look for signs.
Our current Pope told us not to look for signs.
I’m with them!

Are you saying Jesus and the current Pope are wrong??
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top