Ok a few things about casseroles:
yes, you have to pre-cook everything and then cook it again as someone mentioned. But as a busy mom this actually works to my advantage! When I get a minute when the baby is sleeping, I go to the kitchen and assemble the casserole, let it cool in my pyrex dish then cover it and throw it into the fridge for either later on that day or the next day. That way, I’m sure of having the food ready when DH gets home for dinner!! I’m not always guaranteed time right before hubby gets home to cook so this way I can make it ahead of time and have it ready for when I’m ready. Awesomeness! (yes, that’s a word

)
Second, it doesn’t have to be so full of calories or fat!! I just made a chicken, broccoli and brown rice casserole and not an ounce of cream of whatever in it! This is what I did:
- cubed up some boneless skinless chicken and browned it in a pan
- took some frozen broccoli, the kind that comes in the square package, defrosted it and added it to the pan with the chicken
- added MORE veggies, this time I only added onion, shredded carrot and garlic but finely diced celery and mushrooms work here too. Whatever you have on hand, just dice it up small enough so it cooks quickly in pan!
- cooked brown rice and let it cool (actually, I did this part first before I did the chicken)
- when veggies are soft, add butter and flour to make a roux (I used 2 TBS butter and flour, equal parts always) then whisked in some warm 2% milk. NO you don’t have to use heavy cream or cream of whatever. Regular ol’ 2% milk works great and makes a great bechamel sauce (which is what this is). Let come to boil so it will thicken
- Season sauce, I like to use parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg. Delicious.
- Add rice, stir altogether, let cool
- Put in pyrex and cover with plastic wrap, stick in fridge. You have a meal ready to go for whenever. I added more cheese on top (sharp cheddar was yummy) but you can do your crunchy topping if you like. I don’t really care for the extra carbs so I just go with more cheesy goodness hahaha.
There you go! The most fattening thing is the 2% milk and cheese. The starch is brown rice which is very good for you and the casserole is full of veggies and less rice. Just portion how you want to eat (less starch, more veggies) and use good cooking techniques and you can cook healthier and more flavorful food without making huge changes.