M
Melrose88
Guest
Hello,
I have recently returned to the Catholic Church and I read an article quoting Pope Francis today. Below are some of the points which the author said were quotes from Pope Francis. Some of the words I find very refreshing, but some sound so different from the view of the Catholic Church that I grew up in. Is this really the view of the Catholic Church today?
I would be grateful for opinions of others. Thank you.
The Third Vatican Council concluded today with Pope Francis announcing:
I have recently returned to the Catholic Church and I read an article quoting Pope Francis today. Below are some of the points which the author said were quotes from Pope Francis. Some of the words I find very refreshing, but some sound so different from the view of the Catholic Church that I grew up in. Is this really the view of the Catholic Church today?
I would be grateful for opinions of others. Thank you.
The Third Vatican Council concluded today with Pope Francis announcing:
- We must recognize that religious truth evolves and changes. Truth is not absolute or set in stone.
- The church no longer believes in a literal hell where people suffer. This doctrine is incompatible with the infinite love of God. God is not a judge but a friend and a lover of humanity. God seeks not to condemn but only to embrace. Like the fable of Adam and Eve, we see hell as a literary device. Hell is merely a metaphor for the isolated soul, which like all souls ultimately will be united in love with God.
- All religions are true, because they are true in the hearts of all those who believe in them. Whether we worship at a church, a synagogue, a mosque or a mandir, it does not matter. Whether we call God, Jesus, Adonai, Allah or Krishna, we all worship the same God of love. This truth is self-evident to all who have love and humility in their hearts!
- The Bible is a beautiful holy book, but like all great and ancient works, some passages are outdated.