How does the Church view these verses and what does she say they mean?
Mt 16:28; Mk 8:39; Lk 9:27; and Jn 21:21-23 . . . basically any verse that says people won’t die until Christ comes again, thank you for your help!
Here are the verses you site.
Mt 16:28
I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."
Mk 8:39
No such verse
Lk 9:27
I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God."
Jn 21:21-23
21 So Peter seeing him said to Jesus, “Lord, and what about this man?” 22 Jesus said to him, “If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow Me!” 23 Therefore this saying went out among the brethren that that disciple would not die; yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but only, “If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you?”
Let me give you two more to ponder.
John 11:25-26
25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?”
My 22:32
‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’ ? He is not the God of the dead but of the living."
If those who “die” (leave this earth) in God’s grace, continue to live then each of the verses you quote make sense.
As for the specific verse in John that you site, note that Christ says
IF I want him to remain…. He does not say If I want him to
live
Hope this helps.
Peace
James