The centurion's servant

  • Thread starter Thread starter mackk
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mackk

Guest
okay this may seem like a dumb thing to most of you but try to remember this is the first time i’m reading the bible for the sake of reading it and not because i need information for an argument or because i’m being forced to.

my confusion stems from these two versions of one story
LUKE 7
[1] And when he had finished all his words in the hearing of the people, he entered into Capharnaum. [2] And the servant of a certain centurion, who was dear to him, being sick, was ready to die. [3] And when he had heard of Jesus, he sent unto him the ancients of the Jews, desiring him to come and heal his servant. [4] And when they came to Jesus, they besought him earnestly, saying to him: He is worthy that thou shouldest do this for him. [5] For he loveth our nation; and he hath built us a synagogue.
[6] And Jesus went with them. And when he was now not far from the house, the centurion sent his friends to him, saying: Lord, trouble not thyself; for I am not worthy that thou shouldest enter under my roof. [7] For which cause neither did I think myself worthy to come to thee; but say the word, and my servant shall be healed. [8] For I also am a man subject to authority, having under me soldiers: and I say to one, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doth it. [9] Which Jesus hearing, marvelled: and turning about to the multitude that followed him, he said: Amen I say to you, I have not found so great faith, not even in Israel. [10] And they who were sent, being returned to the house, found the servant whole who had been sick.
Matthew 8:5
[5] And when he had entered into Capharnaum, there came to him a centurion, beseeching him,
[6] And saying, Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy, and is grieviously tormented. [7] And Jesus saith to him: I will come and heal him. [8] And the centurion making answer, said: Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldst enter under my roof: but only say the word, and my servant shall be healed. [9] For I also am a man subject to authority, having under me soldiers; and I say to this, Go, and he goeth, and to another, Come, and he cometh, and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it. [10] And Jesus hearing this, marvelled; and said to them that followed him: Amen I say to you, I have not found so great faith in Israel.
[11] And I say to you that many shall come from the east and the west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven: [12] But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into the exterior darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. [13] And Jesus said to the centurion: Go, and as thou hast believed, so be it done to thee. And the servant was healed at the same hour.
How exactly does the centurion display great faith by refusing to invite Christ into his home?
Were I Christ in the same situation I cannot say that i would be very understanding of a man who said please come here and help me … and then when i was near him he said wait don’t come in just do me this favor from out there in the street. stand out there in the heat and sun and do me a favor … …
maybe it is a matter of me misunderstanding the situation …

the verses were borrowed from drbo.org/ to save me from typing them out and messing them up lol
 
The centurion was saying I’m not worthy to be in your presence never the less come to my house and so with a leap of faith the centurion asked Jesus to heal his servant. It was the man’s faith that is to be imitated. I’m sure if Christ told the man it would be okay if He entered the man’s house then the man would have obliged but instead Christ gave the man greater faith by healing the servant from the street.
 
“Domine, non sum dignus, ut intres sub tectum meum: sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea.” (x3)
 
The faith is demonstrated in the centurion’s firm belief that merely by ‘saying the word’ Christ could heal his servant, without even needing to be physically near the servant.

Remember, in scripture there’s only one who can make things happen merely by ‘saying the word’ (I’ll give you a hint who: “Let there be light”). The centurion is affirming that Jesus is far beyond being an ordinary prophet (after all, many of the prophets healed people, none to my memory is recorded as doing so merely by speaking the word).
 
The action of the Centurion of not wanting Jesus to go into his house, “ … I am not worthy that thou shouldest enter under my roof …” is quite consistent with those who realized that they came face to face with God. The people in the OT would not want to come face to face with God lest they be struck dead. There is great chasm between God and man, that the latter would be reduced to nothing as compared to the majesty and the holiness of the Lord.

Peter in Lk 5:8 when he realized the extraordinariness of Jesus could not allowed himself in Jesus’ presence. He fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!” In doing that he acknowledged the greatness of God and his own lowlessness.

This could have happened to the Centurion. He most probably had heard of Jesus healing people from their sickness and perhaps thought that Jesus probably was one of those prophets who had the power or gift of miracle and so he summoned him to perform one on his servant. But as he saw Jesus actually responded and came to his house, it probably dawn on him that this was no ordinary man and certainly not some magician. He saw what Jesus represented and realized he could not come face to face with him. This is his faith; not so much that Jesus could heal his servant but who Jesus was. And he did what Peter would have done, “stay away from me Lord, for I am not worthy of your presence”.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top