L
Legal_Eagle
Guest
Is anyone here involved with the charasimatic Catholic movement? I know absolutely nothing about it. Someone care to enlighten me?
not on your lifeIs anyone here involved with the charasimatic Catholic movement? I know absolutely nothing about it. Someone care to enlighten me?
Charismatic as used in Catholic Charismatic Renewal refers to the charisms or gifts of the Holy Spirit. These are not the sanctifying gifts which are given to build up our personal holiness, but are given to us for the upbuilding of the Church, as mentioned in. for example, 1 Cor 12.I am a non catholic that has been to many different churches. I don’t know anyone who claims to be Charismatic, but I can tell which ones might fit into that category. The word Charismatic probably derived from the word charsima wich means a person’s personality or charm. This is what people use to decieve people instead of saving them. They just want people to like them or give them money.
The Catholic Charismatic Renewal is a worldwide movement within the Catholic Church, although it is strictly speaking not a movement like say Focolare or Cursillo.Is anyone here involved with the charasimatic Catholic movement? I know absolutely nothing about it. Someone care to enlighten me?
My life has been changed (for the better) by Charismatic Renewal and I know many people whose life has been transformed. But it is true that, as you say there are many misconceptions and misunderstandings.Legal Eagle,
I’ve been to one seminar - and it was about praying in tongue and healing the sick. I could only speak from my own personal experience - my life has been changed after attending the seminar - for the better; however, I am still quite confused about this movement as I’ve seen there are good and there are some misconceptions coming out of this movement.
Healing scary? Jesus healed. Many, many saints healed, raised people from the dead, drove out evil spirits etc. This should be normal. Hopefully if things are explained properly there is nothing scary - unusual perhaps; we have such low expectations of the power of the Holy Spirit.This Friday, there will be a healing service at a Catholic Church, and I am not so sure if I should attend. Things happening supernaturally is kinda scaring me and confusing me at some points.
These are all good things. But don’t get stuck in a comfort zone. We are called to step out into the deep and grow in our Christian life.The best things to do: - pray in the language you are comfortable with, read Scriptures, attend daily mass, love one another are things that we must do, etc…
We had a Life in the Spirit weekend at my parish a few months ago. We were out of town and didn’t get to attend. I didn’t realize that this was a charasimatic type seminar. Everyone who went to the seminar spent the next several weeks telling everyone else how wonderful it was, but they didn’t mention tounges or healing or anything. Can you give me an idea about the process? If that’s even the right word. Is there a Liturgy? A Mass? What goes on?If you get a chance go to Life In The Spirit Seminars. These are usually 7-8 sessions (depends on the format used) that explain and take you through living a life in the Spirit.
Thanks Steve for replying my post.Healing scary? Jesus healed. Many, many saints healed, raised people from the dead, drove out evil spirits etc. This should be normal. Hopefully if things are explained properly there is nothing scary - unusual perhaps; we have such low expectations of the power of the Holy Spirit.
“The Holy Spirirt is awesome when he acts.” (John Paul II)
The way they are done may vary.We had a Life in the Spirit weekend at my parish a few months ago. We were out of town and didn’t get to attend. I didn’t realize that this was a charasimatic type seminar. Everyone who went to the seminar spent the next several weeks telling everyone else how wonderful it was, but they didn’t mention tounges or healing or anything. Can you give me an idea about the process? If that’s even the right word. Is there a Liturgy? A Mass? What goes on?
Sure, feel free to pm me with any questions and I will try to give you balanced and fair answers. I have to go now so it will be tomorrow before I respond further.Thanks Steve for replying my post.
Healing is not scary - it is a blessing; however, there are few other things that really really concern me. Because I think it is best not to say it out here in my other post because I am not quite sure. But if you don’t mind me discussing with you in the private message, I could send you some of my concerns, and you maybe able to help me explain.
Basically, at this point, I am neither Pro nor Against it. I am trying to open up for understanding.
Thanks!