The Charasmatic Movement in mass?

• Thread starter Thread starter Oshiego_Rod
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Oshiego_Rod

There seems to be a growing trend in the Catholic community where Catholics have been praying charasmatically. There have been worship services involving full scaled bands, raising of hands, jumping and clapping. It seems okay, but what if this type of praying and worshiping begins to be incorporated in the mass? I went to a mass where I felt that it was more of a show rather than the mass. The priest was acting more like a comedian rather than a priest. I mean a joke here and there is good to make a point but if it starts becoming like Saturday Night Live, there is a problem. Anyway, worship services are cool but should it be incorporated in the mass?

:hmmm:

I agree that at times it may seem to be a show. I prefer the more traditional mass where the songs and prayers help you focus on Jesus and not the choir. I can tolerate a charismatic mass maybe once a month but I prefer one that is spontaneously charismatic rather than rehearsed.

Let’s put it this way. When I went to my sister’s wedding last August, which was in a Nazarene Church, it looked more like a performance hall than a church. It seemed as if we were going to be treated to a benefit performance of Handel’s Messiah. There was a stage w/a plain 6’ wooden cross and a piano. No stained glass windows, no statues of saints, not even a picture of Jesus.
When I go to mass, I want a mass, not a performance, and definitely not a protestant service, which is what some “Catholic” masses are turning into.
  • Laura

Hey, I belong to the First Evangelical Church of the Nazarene! 😉 👍

W h e r e have the people on this thread b e e n for well nigh thirty years ?Talk about the Seven Sleepers of Ephesus ? Rip van Winkle ?Yes there a r e these masses where the priest sings loudly and is like a comedian…the movement in its heyday often set up on its own and bussed the approving priests to say house mass or not bother with mass at all.
Not only biblical illiteracy came with the charismatics, but woeful lack of knowledge about sacraments and devotion to the Blessed Mother.
They also took themselves to self-proclaimed ecumenical communities where the divisions blurred between Protestant and Catholic.All to no avail, these settlements imploded and rather than talk in the present about charismatics, I am forced to say with an English perspective they are dysfunctional at the edge of churches.You could make an effective comparison with the extremists in the Anglican Communion who have no interest in doing anything else but dressing up as ornate pre-Vatican II Cathoilcs.They cut no ice any more, and the ordination of women put them really out on a limb.

Music of a questionable style is the legacy of the charismatic movement IMHO -at best the whole “Experiential Spirituality” seems an exclusive failure.

40.png
Disillusioned:
Not only biblical illiteracy came with the charismatics, but woeful lack of knowledge about sacraments and devotion to the Blessed Mother.

Disillusioned…

I can only share the experience I’ve had with this movement. I’ve been part of the Charismatic Renewal for only 6 years. I, and my friends can say we have GROWN in our knowledge and understanding of the Bible, the Mass, the Sacraments, the Church and especially the Blessed Mother. It is a movement that proposes an increased devotion to Adoration and the Blessed Mother.

I have heard that in the past, there were the problems you stated, but it seems as though there has been a purging of sorts of untruths.

Because of my increased understanding, I now desire a deeper and more traditional Mass. I can thank the Charismatic Renewal for being there to help me. The homililists and conference speakers are very conservative and rather orthodox, IMHO.

All I can say is that I have experienced God through this movement. And I am eternally grateful!:bowdown:

“Mass” is spelled “Mass”; please note the captital M.

Like anything else! the charismatic movement has it’s good:) and not so good:o. Some people dont agree with the jumping and the loud praising, and maybe to do so during Mass isnt the most appropriate place. But to say that charismatics are biblicaly alliterate is not right. You may have a point in that most people that consider themselves to be charismatics are not that fast at pulling out the bible and giving you the right verse and chapter for a specific scripture. But thats because most people that are part of the movement were never coming to Mass at all. They didnt care to learn about their faith or religion. Thank God that they found something that sparked that interest in asking someone they consider knows more about scripture than they do. It’s a long learning process but as long as they get to meet God, let’s thank him that they fell in love with Jesus enough that they are no longer ashamed to let the whole world know it by jumping and waving their arms around. Lets just thank God that they are not dancing and striping themselves down like king David did 👍 😊

I’ve gone to our diocesan Charismatic conference for more than 20 years. Mass there is said totally according to the rubrics. The only time of spontaneous (but restrained) praise or praying in tongues is at the elevation of the Body and Blood of Christ after the consecration. Some of us lift our hands during the Gloria too. Everyone is very reverent. We use patens at communion time. The periods of prayer and praise take place prior to Mass and at other times throughout the day.

Those I know who consider themselves charismatics are devoted to the Eucharist, and to Mary. Some go to daily Mass. They actively participate in the life of the parish. They’re in the Sodality and the Knights of Columbus. Like the devotion to the Hearts of Jesus and Mary, the Cursillo movement, or the Divine Mercy devotion, the Charismatic renewal shouldn’t be something that causes division in a parish. Like the other movements, it calls us to make Jesus the center of our lives.

BTW, Catholic charismatics tend to be the ones who do read the Bible.

I’ve gone to our diocesan Charismatic conference for more than 20 years. Mass there is said totally according to the rubrics. The only time of spontaneous (but restrained) praise or praying in tongues is at the elevation of the Body and Blood of Christ after the consecration. Some of us lift our hands during the Gloria too. Everyone is very reverent. We use patens at communion time. The periods of prayer and praise take place prior to Mass and at other times throughout the day.

Those I know who consider themselves charismatics are devoted to the Eucharist, and to Mary. Some go to daily Mass. They actively participate in the life of the parish. They’re in the Sodality and the Knights of Columbus. Like the devotion to the Hearts of Jesus and Mary, the Cursillo movement, or the Divine Mercy devotion, the Charismatic renewal shouldn’t be something that causes division in a parish. Like the other movements, it calls us to make Jesus the center of our lives.

BTW, Catholic charismatics tend to be the ones who do read the Bible.
What I meant in the last post is that, the reason why most chaarismatics arent fast to pull out their bible and call out scripture is because prior to them hearing the call from God through a charismatic event most were to busy caught up living life in a worldly manner. Most didnt worry to much about learning about their faith or how to truly practice it. I do agree with you that being charismatic or not shouldnt matter because at the end of the day we are all catholic children of God. Their isn’t and shouldnt be any division over this. I personally have no problem with praising God and Christ with my arms up, waving, or in meditation. My own comunitty is specialy charismatic, but when it comes to Mass i do think that their should be alot of time for personal meditation, giving thank’s to God for what we are about to recieve. So the charismatic movement is not being at all quentioned, because thank’s to this movement alot of people have come to know Jesus, alot of people have gotten involved in their comunitty’s and started serving God. Their have been deacons, priests, religeous sisters, nuns, that are charismatic, so their is alot of very well educated people in this movement and that is why its wrong to call them biblicaly illiterate. We all love our blessed mother Mary!!! no question about that!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back