well, we should be more precise and ask these sorts of specific questions (working off of your reworded question):
a) Who knows Jesus’ message better as to whether it is proper and holy to lead military crusades, the members of the church who approved and participated in those crusades or me?
b) Who knows Jesus’ message better as to whether it is proper and good to burn heretics at the stake, the members of the church who approved of and carried out those executions or me?
.
Every age has its own challenges and temptations. ( One of ours own appears being prone to judgments about previous ones

).
I do not maintain I know Jesus’ message better than the leadership of the CC in the XI or XIII or XVI centuries. That would sound to me an excess of individualism and presentism even if I were non-catholic and non-believer.( BTW, I could not maintain that I know His message better than the great minds within Protestantisms, I believe the CC does )
The basic specific principle of the crusades was the pilgrimage.
The basic principle of the fight against heresies was the defense of the faith.
IMHO a number of factors including grave weaknesses and sins within the leaders of the Church produced disastrous consequences in the applications of those principles.
c) Who knows Jesus’ message better as to whether one can buy one’s way out of purgatory, the members of the church who accepted and used payments made for that purpose or me?
- The Church who developed the doctrine of indulgences knows better than myself ( BTW there is more freedom of opinion on the contents of this doctrine for the catholic believer than it is often imagined )
- About the depth of the knowledges of single abusers of the indulgences I can offer no specific insight.
I could go on of course, but I think it is clear that we all think that certain groups (in leadership) within the church didn’t follow Jesus’ message very well and that we know better…it is a question of how often.
If your general point is that you follow Jesus’ message better than a number of Christian leaders would do during history,then I have nothing to object.
It is rather that I know better than the church hierarchy of a certain time period in regard to certain matters. In contrast, I expect that you will distinguish between your agreement with the “official teachings” put forward by certain groups and your disagreement with the “unofficial teachings” put forward by other groups (claiming that only the former actually spoke for the Church) but I think that distinction is artificial and that really you are claiming that you know better than the hierarchy at various times. You will likely dismiss certain differences between the modern teachings of the CC and the ancient teachings of the Church by claiming that the difference is due to inspired development, but I think … … To declare one’s agreement with a improperly described belief isn’t actual agreement with the ancient church.
Let me quote Richard Neuhaus, who left this world last year:
*"The Catholic Church has always taught with St. Paul that now, as he says in 1 Corinthians 13, we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now we know in part; then we shall understand fully, even as we have been fully understood. Along the way to that eschatological fullness—which is a frequently jagged, confusing, and conflicted way—it is promised to the Church that she will not, she will not irretrievably, lose the way. It is not everything that we might want, but it is enough; it is more than enough.
The Church’s teaching lives forward; it is not reconstructed backward—whether from the fifth century or the sixteenth or the nineteenth or the twenty-first." *( from the essay “How I became the Catholic I was “)
The single believer acting by himself, or the single community within Protestantisms, reconstruct backward. The CC lives forward. That could IMHO be the basis of a not completely inadequate reply to your profound questions.
You affirm you know the present teachings are in disagreement ( I so interpret “different” in the context ) with the ancient Church. You affirm they are in disagreement with the NT. And they are in disagreement with the early Church on areas she was silent about.
Consider please that this does not amount merely to
“I reconstruct in 2010 the real meaning of the recorded teachings of the ancient Church better than the CC does.” “I reconstruct the real meaning of the NT better than the CC does” “I reconstruct the silences, or not recorded tenets, of the early Church better than the CC does”.
You are also mainly stating, that the living teaching of His Church ( since we seem to agree there was an original legitimate visible Church ) designed to deliver His message …… lost it step by step. The living informant, assisted by the Spirit, that the Incarnated Logos had left us to attain His message, is then no more.
And to attain the message of the Incarnated and Resurrected One we have our own reconstructions, by means of documents, themselves delivered through a derailing body, even unable to get their meanings. Each “reconstructor” claiming special assistance by the Spirit.
On the Church in the early second century my question here is trivially: was she derailing ?
I wish to tell you that ( although you are a little overloading me now

) I am grateful for this exchange, for all the insights you’re presenting and the difficult questions you ask.
I hope I am giving you here a correct presentation of the Catholic positions.
God bless you