The Church Jesus Founded

  • Thread starter Thread starter Curious
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Curious

Guest
Greetings,

I mentioned this elsewhere on the boards, but I’ve recently returned to the catholic.com from a long string of busyness. Life happens. I used to be here a lot and studied a lot of Catholic stuff on and off for about a year before life went psycho on me.

My question is this: can any of you guys point me to some websites/books/your personal knowledge about how the catholic church was the church Jesus founded and all that. When I abandoned my studying, I believe I left off at trying to get into some good church history, and that made me very tired. Whether it was the church Jesus founded or not, the Catholic Church is super old and has tons of history, so I had no idea where to begin wading through all that.

Now, I’m back and sort of lurking, and life has smoothed out just enough for me to pop in now and again. Sorry for the big long speech - I said all that just to ask this:
Websites/books/stuff you know? Thanks in advance if you guys can point me in the right direction.

Curious
 
Development Of Christian Doctrine by John Newman
I think that this is the work by John Newman that he wrote when he was still an Anglican, which caused him to convert to Catholicism. He started it trying to prove the Catholic Church wrong, but by the time he finished it he found that he had traced the doctrine of the Catholic Church thru the ages back to the beginning. I haven’t read it, I have just heard about it on Catholic Answers and similar shows.

I might be wrong on this, but I think that this is the link to the online book.

Also you might want to go to EWTN and listen to Scott Hahn’s “Our Fathers Plan”, it is a 13 session audio program which is a bible overview, but he covers how it was God’s plan from the start for his Church. You will learn from the Bible many of the Churches believes and doctrines.

Patrick Madrid has a book “Mass of the early Christians” which he goes thru the bible, early church documents, and roman documents to show that the early worship was very similar to the Mass that we celebrate today.

As for Church History books or links, I would say all the different denominations have their own showing how history favors their perticular church.
You could just google it I guess, I am not sure of which books would be a good recomendation.
 
Greetings,

I mentioned this elsewhere on the boards, but I’ve recently returned to the catholic.com from a long string of busyness. Life happens. I used to be here a lot and studied a lot of Catholic stuff on and off for about a year before life went psycho on me.

My question is this: can any of you guys point me to some websites/books/your personal knowledge about how the catholic church was the church Jesus founded and all that. When I abandoned my studying, I believe I left off at trying to get into some good church history, and that made me very tired. Whether it was the church Jesus founded or not, the Catholic Church is super old and has tons of history, so I had no idea where to begin wading through all that.

Now, I’m back and sort of lurking, and life has smoothed out just enough for me to pop in now and again. Sorry for the big long speech - I said all that just to ask this:
Websites/books/stuff you know? Thanks in advance if you guys can point me in the right direction.

Curious
scripturecatholic.com/the_church.html
catholic.com/library/church_papacy.asp
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top