The Church's stance on the death penalty is nearly identical my stance on abortion!

• Thread starter Thread starter Laurence_of_PA
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still see no reason to believe that is a good comparison.
It isn’t a good comparison - for just the reason you gave. The Church herself makes the distinction between the innocent and the guilty as she interprets the commandment “You shall not kill” to mean “Do not slay the innocent and the righteous”, not “do not ever kill anyone.”

Deliberately killing the innocent - which every unborn child is - is never permitted in any circumstance; it is intrinsically disordered. This judgment applies to abortion. The death penalty is not intrinsically disordered - cases exist where it is the appropriate penalty so the two actions differ in kind, not merely degree, and the question of innocence is what makes the difference.

Ender

I have mixed feelings on the death penalty. But I find myself disgusted by people-no offense to the OP- who equate killing someone who tortured and raped an individual to the murder of an innocent child.

If I said that we should allow people to lock up innocent children in prison because we allow thieves to be locked away, people would think that I had lost my mind.

Yet, people compare abortion and the death penalty in the same manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back