The Cross on my rosary broke in half

• Thread starter Thread starter SUSANNIE
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
<<Dorothy in Pensacola (ahem, ahem). This is exactly what we would do if we weren’t passing them along to future generations. But then again you know about this…>>

Well, the quality of the rosaries that I discard are the plastic kind that are knotted on white string. When the string turns very gray I don’t think of them as an heirloom. (s)

I now think of my backyard as “holy ground”.

40.png
Dorothy:
I now think of my backyard as “holy ground”.
Keep it up and you will have som hole-y, holy ground on your hands. 😉

Eamon

Any blessed article has a proper way of being disposed of when they become worn out by wear and tear. Religious items that are broken, torn and ripped, missing pages, etc are to be either burned or buried. They cannot be just thrown away in the trash, for we do not know what happens to the trash. We cannot guarantee that the trash is burned or buried.

Religious vessels and other items used for the sacrafice of the Mass must be made unuseable for their intended purpose. Chalices of metal must be bent and broken or melted down. Glass and crystal vessels are to be broken and shattered. Vestments are to be cut-up. Then they are burned or buried.

So rosaries, medals other sacramentals are to be disposed of properly. Remember, there are some mission groups or agencies that will take broken rosaries, medal off of chains and other sacramentals and repair or make new items and send them to the missions. (I do not have a list of such agencies, but someone out here may know.)

Hope this helps.

40.png
brotherhrolf:
Your cross isn’t broken, merely used.
I agree. It means you have a well used rosary. It reminds me of my collage math professor. He saw my well worn calculus text book and commented, “It’s great to see a student with a worn out text book.”

So, keep wearing out those rosaries. 👍

A few months ago, somebody emailed this question to the EWTN experts. A lady wrote & said she made rosaries for missions out of broken rosaries. She would take all you could send her.
You could search the “past questions” for broken rosaries. (Or maybe just google “rosaries” & “Irene”…which I remember because I had an aunt Irene.
She uses the beads & any other good parts.(I am sure there are many others, this is the one I remembered while reading this thread…)

How wretched for you! Bury it if you are able and obtain a new one.

As a rosary maker I would keep the pieces to be remade with the exception of the crucifix. Rosaries are subject to human abilities in the construction, some are very cheaply made whilst others are truely beautifully crafted.

There is no shame at having worn out many over ones lifetime.🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back