O
onenow1
Guest
Some of you need to take a deep breath and slow down.
The Cross sans Corpus has been venerated by many throughout Christian history.
When you see a poor wooden Cross, alone, uncared-for, and of no value… and without its Crucified, don’t forget that that Cross is your Cross: the Cross of each day, the hidden Cross, without splendour or consolation…, the Cross which is awaiting the Crucified it lacks: and that Crucified must be you.
The empty cross reminds us that we have to nail ourselves to our own cross, what we have to crucify ourselves each day. Monastics have always venerated the empty cross as a reminder of the ascetic life. Most recently members of Opus Dei venerate the empty cross as a reminder of personal mortification and sacrifice. I sometimes carry a clunky little black wooden cross in my pocket. It helps me when I am tempted. I look at it and remind myself that I belong on that cross.
- St. Josemaria Escriva
Remember that in our Baptism we have died with Christ. Paul understood this as being crucified with Christ.
I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)
The Cross without a Corpus is not just a Protestant thing. Christians have been venerating the empty cross centuries before the reformation.
-Tim-
God Bless
Bob