T
The_Catholic
Guest
I may be too ignorant, but I believe it is untrue to say that until Protestantism, there was only the Catholic Church. Were there not many different sects of christian churches who were apart from the Catholic Church in every century? And that they all believed they were following Christ’s teachings?
If so then what claims do they have? Do they have apostlic succesion, or writtings passed on from earlier christians that believed their teachings?
I know the Catholic Church has a list that dates back to St. Peter and the first Bishops. But non-catholics do not believe this. They say that even though the early church fathers sound “catholic” they still differed on many issues and even believed doctrines the Church doesn’t now teach.
Any coments on this?
If so then what claims do they have? Do they have apostlic succesion, or writtings passed on from earlier christians that believed their teachings?
I know the Catholic Church has a list that dates back to St. Peter and the first Bishops. But non-catholics do not believe this. They say that even though the early church fathers sound “catholic” they still differed on many issues and even believed doctrines the Church doesn’t now teach.
Any coments on this?