The Early Church Fathers Collection - Edited by CATHOLICS

  • Thread starter Thread starter Guardian
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guardian

Guest
I’ve been looking for the book collection of the 38 volume set of the Early Church Fathers, but the only versions I found have been edited by Protestants. Please tell me there is a collection of ECF edited by faithful Catholics!!

Does anyone know of any?
 
I’ve been looking for the book collection of the 38 volume set of the Early Church Fathers, but the only versions I found have been edited by Protestants. Please tell me there is a collection of ECF edited by faithful Catholics!!

Does anyone know of any?

Patristic study is inter-confessional - largely because it is such a vast field. There is a series sponsored by the Salesians, but I’ve come across it only once; I think it is the same as their “Strumenti della Corona Patrum”:​

G. Bosio-E. dal Covolo- M. Maritano, Intoduzione ai Padri della Chiesa, Strumenti della Corona Patrum 3,4,5; SEI 1993, 1995, 1996.
http://www.fmag.unict.it/Vademecum/Programmi0506/storia_cristianesimo.htm

**Series such as the Abbe Migne’s Patrologia Latina & Patrologia Graeca (Catholic) rely on out-of-date texts, many of them now 300 years old. They can still be useful - but they are not now always reliable for detailed study; a lot has happened since the 1860s, when Migne died; the discovery of the Didache in 1883 for instance. **

Of more recent series, the Sources Chretiennes (French) & the Greichische Christliche Schriftsteller - the latter at least has been in progress since the 19th century. Both are inter-confessional. If I were you, I would go for the Sources Chretiennes. Migne printed his texts in folios, which are not very portable - the volumes of the SC are far more convenient in every way.

Hope that helps
:o ##
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top