The eucharist in 1 corinthians 10

  • Thread starter Thread starter 6glargento
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
6

6glargento

Guest
i was reading this passage:

*Therefore, my beloved, avoid idolatry.
I am speaking as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I am saying.
The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?
Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.
Look at Israel according to the flesh; are not those who eat the **sacrifices ****participants **in the altar?
So what am I saying? That meat sacrificed to idols is anything? Or that an idol is anything?
No, I mean that what they sacrifice, (they sacrifice) to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to become **participants **with demons.
You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and also the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and of the table of demons. (1 Corinthians 10:14-20) *

and i notice that not only does it call the eucharist the “**participation **in the body and blood of christ” but it also alludes the the reality of the mass as a sacrifice when it says

“look at isreal according to the flesh, arn’t they who eat at sacrfices at the alter participants of the alter?”

and

"they sacrifice to demons not to God , I do not want you to be participants with demons

paul seems to indicate that when you sacrifice, you become in participation or communion with that sacrifice. he calls the eucharist the “participation in the body and blood of christ” therefore , from looking at the context, he is inferring that the eucharist is a sacrifice.

What do you guys think, does my interpretation hold water?
 
i was reading this passage:

Therefore, my beloved, avoid idolatry.
I am speaking as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I am saying.
The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation
in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?
Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.
Look at Israel according to the flesh; are not those who eat the **sacrifices ****participants **in the altar?
So what am I saying? That meat sacrificed to idols is anything? Or that an idol is anything?
No, I mean that what they sacrifice, (they sacrifice) to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to become **participants **with demons.
You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and also the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and of the table of demons. (1 Corinthians 10:14-20)

and i notice that not only does it call the eucharist the “**participation **in the body and blood of christ” but it also alludes the the reality of the mass as a sacrifice when it says

“look at isreal according to the flesh, arn’t they who eat at sacrfices at the alter participants of the alter?”

and

"they sacrifice to demons not to God , I do not want you to be participants with demons

paul seems to indicate that when you sacrifice, you become in participation or communion with that sacrifice. he calls the eucharist the “participation in the body and blood of christ” therefore , from looking at the context, he is inferring that the eucharist is a sacrifice.

What do you guys think, does my interpretation hold water?
Valid point, but what’s with the switch in the spelling of ‘altar’ (which has no other correct spelling) halfway through the post?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top