J
jowize
Guest
After the last supper where is the Eucharistic celebration first mentioned in the bible?
I’m sorry to make a guess here (I feel like there must be a reference in Acts - I can’t remember now), but 1 Corinthians has a beautiful reference to the Eucharistic celebration. It may not be the first reference in the order of the books, but probably is chronologically. Paul talks about “the Lord’s Supper” from verse 17-33, but he speaks most directly about the Eucharist from verse 23-29. You will probably notice that the words of institution used at mass come directly from Paul here. Or, Paul was probably using the words already used in the earliest form of the mass. Anyway, it’s right there. Enjoy.After the last supper where is the Eucharistic celebration first mentioned in the bible?
I was going to ask “chronologically or in book order?” but you’ve cut to the chase, and you are correct. The 1 Corinthians passage is probably the earliest written mention of the Eucharist and records the language of the Mass, recalling the Institution.I’m sorry to make a guess here (I feel like there must be a reference in Acts - I can’t remember now), but 1 Corinthians has a beautiful reference to the Eucharistic celebration. It may not be the first reference in the order of the books, but probably is chronologically. Paul talks about “the Lord’s Supper” from verse 17-33, but he speaks most directly about the Eucharist from verse 23-29. You will probably notice that the words of institution used at mass come directly from Paul here. Or, Paul was probably using the words already used in the earliest form of the mass. Anyway, it’s right there. Enjoy.
“Stay with us, for it is toward evening and the day is now far spent.” So he went in to stay with them. When he was at table with them, he took the bread and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him; and he vanished out of their sight. They said to each other, “Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the scriptures?” And they rose that same hour and returned to Jerusalem; and they found the eleven gathered together and those who were with them, who said, “The Lord has risen indeed, and has appeared to Simon!” Then they told what had happened on the road, and how he was known to them in the breaking of the bread. As they were saying this, Jesus himself stood among them.