The Exodus

  • Thread starter Thread starter Holly3278
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Holly3278

Guest
I was just thinking about the Exodus which is in the Book of Genesis I believe. All of the Israelite peoples had to have been living in one city at the time or how else would they have all met Moses at the sea? I am speaking of the part of the Exodus where Moses and the Israelis flee from the Egyptians and go to the sea where Moses parts the sea and then they all cross over on dry land. Well, I am sure it wouldn’t have been a problem for God to have arranged for all the Israelis to live in one city but it is very unlikely that they would have all lived in one city isn’t it? Please help! This is bothering me.
 
I don’t understand the question.
the story of Moses and the Exodus of the Israelites from slavery in Egypt to freedom is told in the book of Exodus. I don’t understand the question about living in one city. The Hebrews were given the Land of Goshen in Egypt when they migrated during a time of famine in Israel. That story is told in the last part of Genesis, when it tells the fate of Joseph and his family, the sons of Jacob. Exodus tells how they grew numerous and were later enslaved by the Egyptians and how they won their freedom through God’s intervention.
 
“I was just thinking about the Exodus which is in the Book of Genesis I believe.”

The Exodus is in the Book of Exodus, the Book after Genesis.

David
 
Puzzleannie,

How in the world have you made 26,344 posts since 2004? That’s over 4,000 per year, 333ish a month, ten a day. Thats wicked 😃
 
I don’t understand the question.
the story of Moses and the Exodus of the Israelites from slavery in Egypt to freedom is told in the book of Exodus. I don’t understand the question about living in one city. The Hebrews were given the Land of Goshen in Egypt when they migrated during a time of famine in Israel. That story is told in the last part of Genesis, when it tells the fate of Joseph and his family, the sons of Jacob. Exodus tells how they grew numerous and were later enslaved by the Egyptians and how they won their freedom through God’s intervention.
Oh ok. I think I understand now. So the Israelites in Egypt all lived in a single place?
“I was just thinking about the Exodus which is in the Book of Genesis I believe.”

The Exodus is in the Book of Exodus, the Book after Genesis.

David
Oh… ooops. I feel really humiliated now. 😊
 
I’m not sure you can make the inferance that all lived in one city or country(Egypt) for that matter.
As slaves they could have been sold off to anyone, anywhere.
I don’t think the story or the message depend on that fact.

Just like, I don’t think you could say that there wasn’t any good pious Jews at any given moment. Though Gd in the stories punishes them for their infedelity.
 
Actually that section of Genesis makes a point of explaining that the Jews were essentially “segregated” in Goshen because the Egyptians thought of them as “dirty” shepherds. And they weren’t slaves in the sense of individual slaves who lived/worked in individual households, they were an oppressed underclass who were forced to work in inhumane conditions and subjected to male infanticide in order to weaken the possibility of their rebelling.
 
I wonder, what is your opinion about that? There are many scholars, historians, who think the Exodus did not take place at all. The reason is no evidence has been found in the old Egyptian scriptures about such event until now, not a single reference, direct or indirect.
 
I wonder, what is your opinion about that? There are many scholars, historians, who think the Exodus did not take place at all. The reason is no evidence has been found in the old Egyptian scriptures about such event until now, not a single reference, direct or indirect.
I wouldn’t say that MANY scholars and historians believe this, although those that speculate this way tend to be loud and recieve the attention of the popular media and lower-level scholarship (i.e. public education) which is ready to sensationalize just about anything, especially if it seems to pokes traditional religion in the eye.

Even if true, that, in itself, is not a compelling reason to conclude the events of Exodus never happened at all. If there were an instance of a successful revolt by a group of raggedy slaves which a powerhouse like Egypt was unable or not ready at that time to prevent, it wouldn’t exactly be the kind of event the ruling dynasty would be eager to record for posterity. We know for a fact that the annals of ancient rulers were extremely controlled and slanted by potentates very keen to preserve their own posterity in the best possible light.
 
I was just thinking about the Exodus which is in the Book of Genesis I believe. All of the Israelite peoples had to have been living in one city at the time or how else would they have all met Moses at the sea? I am speaking of the part of the Exodus where Moses and the Israelis flee from the Egyptians and go to the sea where Moses parts the sea and then they all cross over on dry land. Well, I am sure it wouldn’t have been a problem for God to have arranged for all the Israelis to live in one city but it is very unlikely that they would have all lived in one city isn’t it? Please help! This is bothering me.
When the Egyptians freed the Isrealites, they would have gathered to the only leader they knew - Moses. A group that ended up being over a million people strong would travel slowly. I would imagine any stragglers could catch up mighty quickly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top