The Father and I are one

  • Thread starter Thread starter HaroldA
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HaroldA

Guest
John 10:27-30 was the Gospel reading for yesterday. It is fairly straight forward: “my sheep hear my voice … no one can take them from me…” Then, verse 29 says:

“My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand.”

Again, fairly straight forward.

But then at verse 30, Jesus says: “The Father and I are one.”

Of course, I accept that statement, but it seems very odd coming at the end of the Good Shepherd discourse. It’s jarring as if it is a tangent to something unrelated to the sheep and shepherd discourse. What am I missing?
 
John 10:27-30 was the Gospel reading for yesterday. It is fairly straight forward: “my sheep hear my voice … no one can take them from me…” Then, verse 29 says:

“My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand.”

Again, fairly straight forward.

But then at verse 30, Jesus says: “The Father and I are one.”

Of course, I accept that statement, but it seems very odd coming at the end of the Good Shepherd discourse. It’s jarring as if it is a tangent to something unrelated to the sheep and shepherd discourse. What am I missing?
Jesus is reminding us that even though The Father is greater than him, this is only when he is a human and in heaven they are the same person. There are three of them all seperate but all the same. Three in one.
 
John 10:27-30 was the Gospel reading for yesterday. It is fairly straight forward: “my sheep hear my voice … no one can take them from me…” Then, verse 29 says:

“My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand.”

Again, fairly straight forward.

But then at verse 30, Jesus says: “The Father and I are one.”

Of course, I accept that statement, but it seems very odd coming at the end of the Good Shepherd discourse. It’s jarring as if it is a tangent to something unrelated to the sheep and shepherd discourse. What am I missing?
The frequency with which God is described as the Shepherd of Israel in the Old Testament. Most notably in the 23rd Psalm, of course, but not only there. This was an image that resonated deeply with the sheep-herding Israelites.
 
John 10:27-30 was the Gospel reading for yesterday. It is fairly straight forward: “my sheep hear my voice … no one can take them from me…” Then, verse 29 says:

“My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand.”

Again, fairly straight forward.

But then at verse 30, Jesus says: “The Father and I are one.”

Of course, I accept that statement, but it seems very odd coming at the end of the Good Shepherd discourse. It’s jarring as if it is a tangent to something unrelated to the sheep and shepherd discourse. What am I missing?
This is one of those verses where Jesus in his humanity submits himself under the Father, but, st the same time shows his equality with him.:hmmm:
Remember what Jesus said a few verses before: “As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father; so he that eateth me, the same also shall live by me.” John 6:57
He said ‘I live by the Father’ meaning that ‘he has life because of him’. This is where the Holy Ghost comes in to fulfill the truth of the Blessed Trinity. When the Virgin Mary accepted the greeting of the Angel Gabriel, immediately she was conceived by the Holy Ghost. When that happened, Jesus took on human nature, and LIVED because of his Father though the Spirit. so before, Mary came into this world, Christ lived in heaven, in the splendor of the Father, but Jesus was mainly referring to his human nature.

Remember the words of St. Paul: "Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped" Philippians 2:6 Paul constantly reminds us, that Jesus WAS God, but in his humanity, was meek, and humbled and choose to serve, not be served.

Hope this Helps. God bless you.
 
Thanks for the replies. It just seems like Jesus suddenly changed the subject from shepherds and sheep to “the Father and I are one.” To me it is as if a teacher suddenly gave a very brief algebra lesson in English class. I guess it’s just my thick headedness!
 
Thanks for the replies. It just seems like Jesus suddenly changed the subject from shepherds and sheep to “the Father and I are one.” To me it is as if a teacher suddenly gave a very brief algebra lesson in English class. I guess it’s just my thick headedness!
Perhaps its because you are concentrating on the small set of verses that make up the Gospel reading for the day as opposed to looking at the whole chapter of John 10 in its entirety.

In this chapter, Jesus is progressively declaring Who He truly is…God incarnate. He begins by using the analogy of a good shepherd, to which the Jews reply:
The Jews therefore came round about him, and said to him: How long dost thou hold our souls in suspense? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. (Jn 10:24)
Jesus goes beyond declaring Himself to be the awaited Messiah by stating:
I and the Father are one. (Jn 10:30)
The Jews are shocked, or perhaps vindicated in their own minds, by this answer:
The Jews answered him: For a good work we stone thee not, but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, maketh thyself God. (Jn 10:33)
rocketrob
 
=Cashue;6571059]Jesus is reminding us that even though The Father is greater than him, this is only when he is a human and in heaven they are the same person. There are three of them all seperate but all the same. Three in one.
OPPS!:o

The Father is Greater than the humanity of Christ; BUT the Trinity is “Co-Equal and Co-Eternal!” God the Father is NOT greater han God the Son, or the Holy Spirit.

One God, Tree Divine Persons: Co Equal and Co-Etrnal:thumbsup:
 
Yahweh is the divine shepherd of Israel. He exercised his rule through earthly shepherds like Joshua and David. In the last days the Lord was expected to shepherd his flock through the Davidic Messiah. Jesus is saying he is the Davidic Messiah by identifying himself as the good shepherd. But he says there is more to the Messiah than they realize when he says the Father and I are one.

**In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1)

For this reason the Jews tried all the more to kill him, because he not only broke the sabbath but he also called God his own father, making himself equal to God. (John 5:18)**
 
Jesus is reminding us that even though The Father is greater than him, this is only when he is a human and in heaven they are the same person. There are three of them all seperate but all the same. Three in one.
Correction, they are the same nature but not the same person… As stated your post pulmigates the error of modalism or sebalianism.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top