But you’re begging the question: Do both hypotheses render the same result? No they do not. A geocentric model of the solar system cannot explain paralax. A geocentric model of the solar system cannot explain how massive bodies can orbit smaller ones while simultaneously factoring in gravity, unless you invoke some mysterious ‘aether’ which is neither well defined nor observed. A geocentric model of the solar system requires invoking more geometrically convoluted ‘epicycles’ to explain our observations from Earth of retrograde motion such as that of the outer planets and the Sun, so as parsimony would have it the heliocentric model of the solar system is indeed the better hypothesis, and both hypotheses are
not equal.
Really? Could you provide some citation for this then? I don’t believe this is true at all.
Oh indeed! My post was concerning the science behind the cosmology, not particularly the history of the Galileo affair. While we’re at it, Copernicus wasn’t truly the first heliocentrist. Granted he was the first to put some math behind the concept, but like most advances in science, our model today is a patchwork of different concepts which came together over a long period of time by different scientists “standing on the shoulders of giants”, as it were. The Pythagoreans were the first to propose a mobile Earth which rotates on its axis, but which remained at the center of the universe. Hericlides Ponticus was the first to propose that Mercury and Venus orbited the Sun while the rest of the planets orbited Earth. Aristachus of Samos was one of the first to ever propose a truly heliocentric view of the solar system. And we must not forget that the big names whom we tend to revere here in the 21st century, while getting much correct, got a lot of it wrong. We know today that celestial bodies do not orbit in perfectly concentric circles, unlike what Galileo thought. We know today that the Sun isn’t actually stationary, unlike what Kepler thought. We also know today that the gravity of smaller bodies can in fact affect the motion of more massive bodies, howbeit at a nearly undetectable level.
My point was that geocentrism is folly and that anyone who espouses it today is quite intellectually lazy. As far as the actual ecclesiastical affair with Galileo, I admit I don’t know the history as well as I know the science. From what I’ve read Galileo was a bit of an egoist and had a bad habit of spouting his mouth off. I know he and Pope Urban VIII were on fairly good terms, even up to and past his publishing his hypotheses. I know he was never excommunicated, as is so often taught in elementary schools, and that he remained a Catholic in fairly good standing throughout his life.
Oh absolutely. As I understand it, while many of the Catholic Bishops were supportive of Copernicus’ early work, Martin Luther had this to say:
astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast161/Unit3/response.html