The general problem discussing morality

  • Thread starter Thread starter IQ170
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Pug:
The conclusion seems unwarranted. A consequentialist say, and a deontologist may well agree on some things. To better understand each other, they should be clear about their own underlying axioms. Often people offer some type of “why” even if you don’t ask. I see no reason why with time they might not come to understand the position of the other to some extent. If they understand each other well enough, person X might even help person Y refine Y’s own position.
From what I’ve seen in practice, most moral systems develop by working backwards. People take basic, common sense moral statements and reason about why certain things are wrong. Then they use those principles to figure out what we should do with harder cases.
So why don’t we start with a basic question: Does a given act cause harm?
 
I was thinking of the major ones like what you listed in your first post.
This was written to me, Pug, but IQ170 is the original poster. I’m thinking there is a mixup? No worries, though. 🙂
But I think that’s really the big way we tell the difference between them. People aren’t starting from scratch, and many people have only a vague idea of an overarching moral system.
Most people don’t seem to follow an overarching system, meticulously worked out and consistently followed, I agree. And when I investigate a system I want to know if it allows crazy things that seem wrong.
we have an innate sense of ethics that tends in general to agree on the major principles most of the time.
I agree nearly all have an idea of right and wrong conduct. I agree there are some major areas of overlap, like rules about killing. Principles, hmmmm, I don’t know.
 
Wozza, that is a difficult question. Harm to what? Who judges? If a bird eats a worm, is that harm? Does the question only matter if a certain type of actor observes it?
 
That’s how all the major moral systems developed, really - starting with concrete cases.
Exactly.
In the case of two random people talking about moral systems, I see no need to win both over to one side. However if our goal is to engineer society, then one can win some people over with rational argument (or incentives) to promote the same moral system.
To create a functioning society we need a working legal system. Whether that system is “moral” or not can only be debated, but cannot be decided, due to the fact of different meta-ethical approaches.
Rather, we have an innate sense of ethics that tends in general to agree on the major principles most of the time. And then we look for an ethical system that makes sense of those.
I have to disagree. That “innate” sense of ethics is not “innate” at all. It is the result of our upbringing during the early years of development. If you look at a random selection of small children, they are all vicious, selfish, little brutes, and it takes a considerable time and effort to “chisel them down” into decent, cooperating little human beings.

If you go to a kindergarten, which is the word you hear most of time, usually being screamed? Yes, it is “MINE!!!”

The age-old question of “nature” vs. “nurture” must be contemplated, too. But that would lead too far. Maybe in another conversation.
At least we have moved away from ‘might is right’ (which is not an ethical system so is irrelevant as you intimate).
I wish we had moved away from it. But every nation-state (or any subset of it) is based upon forcing a legal or similar code upon its subjects.
So why don’t we start with a basic question: Does a given act cause harm?
Yes, that is THE starting point. We are biological creatures, which means that we try to avoid pain and obtain pleasure. Of course it would be ridiculously simplistic to stop here. Because we are also individuals and herd animals. And these two aspects of our nature must be taken into consideration. (Observe the lack of “scare quotes” around the word nature. 🙂 )
 
Wozza, that is a difficult question. Harm to what? Who judges? If a bird eats a worm, is that harm? Does the question only matter if a certain type of actor observes it?
C’mon, Pug. This isn’t a Most Difficult Question Of The Week contender.

Shoot someone in the head and I’d suggest there is harm. Tell you wife that her new dress doesn’t make her rear look too big and there isn’t. You make the call. It’s up to you. If you think someone has been harmed then it might be that the action was wrong. If no-one was harmed then it cannot possibly be wrong.
 
Tell you wife that her new dress doesn’t make her rear look too big and there isn’t. You make the call. It’s up to you. If you think someone has been harmed then it might be that the action was wrong. If no-one was harmed then it cannot possibly be wrong.
If you were actually lying to your wife in the above example then despite her not being harmed and despite the fact that you were saying this to make her feel good, if you have lied then you have committed an objectively sinful act (even if it is a venial sin).
 
Last edited:
40.png
Wozza:
Tell you wife that her new dress doesn’t make her rear look too big and there isn’t. You make the call. It’s up to you. If you think someone has been harmed then it might be that the action was wrong. If no-one was harmed then it cannot possibly be wrong.
If you were actually lying to your wife in the above example then despite her not being harmed and despite the fact that you were saying this to make her feel good, if you have lied then you have committed an objectively sinful act (even if it is a venial sin).
Well, those are the rules under which you play, Brendan. I’m not harmed, she’s not harmed (in fact I’ve made her feel pretty good). So there’s no problem.

Take little white lies out of the system and it can have serious consequences. Look at US/UK relationships right now. The British Ambassador was quite happy to tell Trump to his face what he wanted to hear. Or at least not to tell him what he didn’t. Telling the truth can cause harm in a lot of cases. So we shouldn’t always do it. Horses for courses as it were. Hard and fast rules will get you in trouble.

Yours is not a practical system.
 
Last edited:
My suggestion is to stop talking. This may sound funny or peculiar, but I am serious about it. Instead of philosophizing so much about ethical systems, maybe it would be better, after studying the alternatives and pondering them, to take a stand and practice what one believes, based on a myriad of factors, to be the most beneficial, effective, caring, compassionate, merciful, just way to behave in the given situation. There are bound to be disagreements about which ethical system this is, but are there not disagreements about virtually EVERYTHING in life? That does not mean one stops living. Rather, one does the best one can, given the internal and external circumstances, given the culture one is raised in, given the freedom and responsibility one has to act and make a difference. In real life, one makes tough decisions about all sorts of things, but one eventually chooses and responds accordingly. One also learns by one’s behavior what works best and what does not, and hopefully uses this information to make better decisions the next time.
 
If no-one was harmed then it cannot possibly be wrong.
Was harmed. You mean could be or will be? Otherwise if I shoot to barely miss (and the guy doesn’t notice) there was no harm no foul?

You seem to have answered that you mean no human harmed. So for you it is okay to kill worms while raising a building, and it is okay to litter where no one sees, things like that. But other people following a do no harm rule will answer those differently.
 
Well, those are the rules under which you play, Brendan. I’m not harmed, she’s not harmed (in fact I’ve made her feel pretty good). So there’s no problem…

Hard and fast rules will get you in trouble.

Yours is not a practical system.
Its a system based on objective morality, as opposed to subjective morality. Once we go down the road of subjective morality, then ultimately anything goes. And there is also another factor to consider, the relationship with God, which is harmed by sin. Lying creates the illusion of a false reality and by doing so are we not effectively denying the reality that God has created?

I’m not saying that white lies are mortal sins and the example you give is not an act without charity, but if we believe in objective morality (as the Catholic Church does, and I would also have thought the Anglican community) then it follows that lying is always sinful.

Whether or not hard and fast rules will get us in trouble is neither here nor there. Rules on morality are not there for our convenience, to make life easier for us, or to keep us out of trouble.
 
Last edited:
40.png
Wozza:
Well, those are the rules under which you play, Brendan. I’m not harmed, she’s not harmed (in fact I’ve made her feel pretty good). So there’s no problem…

Hard and fast rules will get you in trouble.

Yours is not a practical system.
Its a system based on objective morality, as opposed to subjective morality. Once we go down the road of subjective morality, then ultimately anything goes.
That’s a fallacy.
 
To create a functioning society we need a working legal system. Whether that system is “moral” or not can only be debated, but cannot be decided, due to the fact of different meta-ethical approaches.
Yes, humans seem to benefit from working legal systems or societal structures/controls. I think people can discuss pragmatic outcomes with some profit (do this and it results in that, etc). We already seem to largely agree that it is not “best” to dump all criminals down a hole and cement it over, since we don’t do exactly that (in my locale).

I find it hard to imagine ever thinking a legal system is the most moral, and that is just with one ethical system (my own).
 
My suggestion is to stop talking. This may sound funny or peculiar, but I am serious about it. Instead of philosophizing so much about ethical systems, maybe it would be better, after studying the alternatives and pondering them, to take a stand and practice what one believes, based on a myriad of factors, to be the most beneficial, effective, caring, compassionate, merciful, just way to behave in the given situation.
These are not mutually exclusive possibilities. And considering certain questions gives us the opportunity to learn from listening other viewpoints.
Otherwise if I shoot to barely miss (and the guy doesn’t notice) there was no harm no foul?
Indeed there was not. Whether you aim to miss by a hair-width or a mile does not matter. And littering can cause harm to others.
 
If no-one was harmed then it cannot possibly be wrong.
No one is harmed by discrimination, unless being offended constitutes harm. Or does indirect harm count?
 
Last edited:
Indeed there was not. Whether you aim to miss by a hair-width or a mile does not matter. And littering can cause harm to others.
I can’t agree, unless we qualify that the shooter had serious reason to run the risk. I agree one instance of littering could cause harm to some unknown future person, but it seems remote in many instances.
 
40.png
Wozza:
If no-one was harmed then it cannot possibly be wrong.
No one is harmed by discrimination, unless being offended constitutes harm. Or does indirect harm count?
I don’t think we can just limit it to physical harm. You can be mentally harmed by constantly being considered a second class citizen.

And in passing, we have to include intended harm. Otherwise someone intending to shoot me in the head and missing has done nothing wrong.
 
40.png
IQ170:
We are doomed to talk past each other
The conclusion seems unwarranted. A consequentialist say, and a deontologist may well agree on some things. To better understand each other, they should be clear about their own underlying axioms. Often people offer some type of “why” even if you don’t ask. I see no reason why with time they might not come to understand the position of the other to some extent. If they understand each other well enough, person X might even help person Y refine Y’s own position.
talking past each other,… seems I just noticed this in a discussion about climate change,…
40.png
What do you think of climate change? Social Justice
Look up what NOAA says the CO2 levels are doing to the oceans. (Remember, if they say it is true, it is true.) https://www.noaa.gov/education/reso...oasts-education-resources/ocean-acidification For more than 200 years, or since the industrial revolution began, the concentration of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere has increased due to the burning of fossil fuels and land use change (e.g. increased car emissions and deforestation). During this time, the pH of surface…
here an irresistible force “science” seemingly meets an immovable object “faith”

just noticed this,…
My suggestion is to stop talking. This may sound funny or peculiar, but I am serious about it. Instead of philosophizing so much about ethical systems, maybe it would be better, after studying the alternatives and pondering them, to take a stand and practice what one believes, based on a myriad of factors, to be the most beneficial, effective, caring, compassionate, merciful, just way to behave in the given situation.
and WRT the issue being discussed in the other thread,… does not seem like a possibility???

FYI basically just here to get ideas how to break out of the paradox “faith” vs “science”
 
Last edited:
I can’t agree, unless we qualify that the shooter had serious reason to run the risk.
Your thought experiment was: “shooting at someone and missing - and the other party does not even know about it”. There were no extra circumstances specified. What kind of “harm” happened in this case?

The “harm” could be either physical or psychological, that is true.
 
I’m not harmed, she’s not harmed (in fact I’ve made her feel pretty good). So there’s no problem.
What if she finds out the truth later? I would say that would be more harmful than telling her the truth when she asks.
 
Your thought experiment was: “shooting at someone and missing - and the other party does not even know about it”. There were no extra circumstances specified. What kind of “harm” happened in this case?

The “harm” could be either physical or psychological, that is true.
I can’t act with such disregard for the life of another without internal harm to myself. For no reason I have exposed another to significant risk to life should the wind change or I trip or whatever. Choosing to do so expresses a change in my valuation of the other. I value them less. I don’t want to value people less, so this would cause a loss of consistency or maybe integrity in me. They are worth basic precautions for their life to me. I’m probably of less overall use to them/society as well, if I can’t see it worth my time to take basic precautions. Being the way I am, it could cause me to proceed to overvalue or more likely undervalue myself too, right along with the other.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top