The general problem discussing morality

  • Thread starter Thread starter IQ170
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Wozza:
All religions have the same story to tell. Do good and you will get rewarded. Be kind to mum and dad, love the guy next door, don’t think just of yourself, avoid jealousy and hate, be truthful…need I go on?
It seems that God and religion have a good moral code.
If I may:

‘It seems that my god and other religions have good moral codes’.

That is a statement that anyone of any religion can make.
 
Sure, however if all religions are different then there can only be one which is fully truthful.
 
Sure, however if all religions are different then there can only be one which is fully truthful.
You are STILL not getting this. You keep making comments that can be made by ANY religious person.
 
Is that near miss accidental or purposeful? Let’s talk about the actual question: "An act which is not known to anyone, and which has no consequences to anyone is not morally significant. " That is all I am asserting.
Purposeful, the shooter did it deliberately, so the action is known to the shooter. Perhaps the person whose ear is being shot past is deaf or distracted, so fails to hear the sounds.

I’m not sure what kind of action nobody knows about, not even the actor.

Maybe you mean unintentional actions/effects, so the actor has no idea they have done it, nor are they guilty of ignoring things they should have looked for. For example, a garbage man collects the trash and then runs the compactor on the truck. But one rare day came along and he did not know there was a living child hiding in one of the trashcans he collected. (this is possible with those trucks that mechanically lift and dump the can). To me, this is an accident. I see nothing wrong with the man not looking for children in every can in ordinary circumstances.

Whereas heaving objects out a high window over a busy street/sidewalk without looking is different for me. They should have looked, regardless of if anyone gets hit or not or notices or not.
 
I understand Wozza, however you have to examine the arguments made by those religious persons. Then you have to choose which of them makes the most sense and have the best arguments.
 
I understand Wozza, however you have to examine the arguments made by those religious persons. Then you have to choose which of them makes the most sense and have the best arguments.
No. I have to decide if any of them make any sense. And then go on to differentiate between those that do.
 
My arguments might not be the correct, but my choice of Catholic Faith is the correct one.
 
None, but I have had discussions with protestants and have read about other religions. It always only confirms that I made the right choice.
 
It sounds like you’re not married.

‘Wow I’d better tell her that her butt looks big in that dress because, boy, will I be in trouble if she finds out later’.
And let’s be honest. If your wife is asking you if her butt looks big in a dress, she already knows her butt is big and looks big.
 
If we all follow the 10 commandment we would solve most of the problems we see in the world today.
There are many different interpretations of the Ten Commandments. For example, someone here will post about a type of activity they engage in and somebody else will say that is a violation of the sixth commandment. Well it may be, but that is their interpretation. But in reading the sixth commandment, it is a stretch to come to that conclusion.
 
Last edited:
I agree that different people might come to a different conclusion on what the command means. That is why the Catholic Catechism and the Catholic Church teachings should always be consulted to know how to interpret them.

Using the Church interpretation however if those teachings were followed in the world, many of today’s problems would be solved.
 
Last edited:
That would not be the case here, because I did not ignore or dismiss information that contradicts Catholicism.
 
Sorry needed to clarify, dismissed it after evaluating it and finding it to be incorrect. There is nothing wrong with dismissing information which is incorrect.
 
Last edited:
Sorry needed to clarify, dismissed it after evaluating it and finding it to be incorrect. There is nothing wrong with dismissing information which is incorrect.
Except that if you have already decided on a path that means the other information cannot be correct.

For example, if you already believe that Jesus rose from the death then how are you going to treat arguments that propose he didn’t? With an open mind?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top