M
Mort_Alz
Guest
In Matthew’s gospel account, he records Jesus as saying: “everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery” (ESV). [the 2010 version of the NIV says “makes her the victim of adultery,” but that seems, if you will, a bit too easy to just change the translation].
Is it just me, or does this seem to be unjust? Almost like Jesus blames the woman in this case for something she could not help. It at least seems this way from a first glance at the scriptures. How does she ask for forgiveness for that? “Dear God, I am wholeheartedly sorry that my HUSBAND divorced me. I know that I am wrong for my HUSBAND’s actions. Please forgive me for being guilty of adultery on account of my HUSBAND.” When I try to take this scripture in it burns and screams in protest against my conscience and against everything my soul tells me is right and fair.
My guess is, I’m just understanding this with poor exegesis. Does anyone have any answers?
Is it just me, or does this seem to be unjust? Almost like Jesus blames the woman in this case for something she could not help. It at least seems this way from a first glance at the scriptures. How does she ask for forgiveness for that? “Dear God, I am wholeheartedly sorry that my HUSBAND divorced me. I know that I am wrong for my HUSBAND’s actions. Please forgive me for being guilty of adultery on account of my HUSBAND.” When I try to take this scripture in it burns and screams in protest against my conscience and against everything my soul tells me is right and fair.
My guess is, I’m just understanding this with poor exegesis. Does anyone have any answers?