"The Gospel" of Frank Sinatra

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zachary
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Further explanation may be needed but,

a) Why take only sermon on the mount and disregard other parts of the bible.
b) See catholic answers tracts and apologetics on the crusades and inquisitions.

I am just 13. I hope elders will be of more help to you.
 
It is true that Frank Sinatra led a pagan lifestyle for much of his life. Later in life, he returned to the Church and was reportedly a regular attendee. His wife Barbara converted to Catholicism.
 
deadstate.org/frank-sinatras-views-on-organized-religion-were-decades-ahead-of-his-time/

Naturally, Facebook is the place this hogwash is spread as gospel.

Can you all help me formulate a reply to my friend (atheist, humanist, non-theist) who says that the words in this interview are the truth?

There’s so much to it, I can’t tackle it! :mad:
I am speaking from my own personal experience and giving my own opinion here…

I find that many atheists need one of two things to remain steadfast in their faith. (It takes even more courage to believe there is no God and it is equally impossible to prove scientifically.)

They need to have the support of like-minded individuals to reinforce their beliefs in “nothing”
and/or
They need to tear down the beliefs of those of us who believe in a personal, loving God and, if possible, to “convert” us to their point of view.

If your friend is open to your opinions on these matters, by all means explain the Church’s stance on the topics Sinatra raised in his interview. Certainly you can find the help you need here on CA.

If it seems that your friend is using the interview as an opportunity to diminish either the value of religion in general or your own personal faith, you can certainly still share, but don’t endanger your own faith by allowing doubts to creep in. If this is the case, I would say that I don’t agree with Sinatra and that I’d rather agree to disagree on this issue rather than risk the friendship.

Good luck!

:blessyou:
 
It is true that Frank Sinatra led a pagan lifestyle for much of his life. Later in life, he returned to the Church and was reportedly a regular attendee. His wife Barbara converted to Catholicism.
I was never a fan of Frank Sinatra, although I was well aware of his existence. He probably wasn’t a fan of Australia or Australians either. There was one time he came to Australia for a performance and at some stage called a female Australian journalist “a broad”.

The unions here took umbrage and black banned him from the airport, and he couldn’t get back to America. I think one English newspaper had a headline “Ol’ Blue Eyes Gets Black Eyes”.

But that’s an aside.

Whenever I see a photograph of Frank Sinatra these days, I seem to see a sort of glow coming through it, so I think that no matter what he might have gotten up to in his early days, I think he got through in the end, which indicates to me his return to the church was genuine. I also think he gave a lot to charity.

Anyway that’s the impression I get.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top