The Gregorian Missal

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmcbroom

New member
Hello All,
I was curious what people think of the Gregorian Missal. I’ve always been interested in Gregorian Chant, so I believe This Missal may be a God send. Anyone have it? If you do what do you think of it? Are all the Gregorian chants in the Book?
 
Obvoiusly, it’s not the Antiphonale and Graduale Romanum (which between the two would contain all the chants needed for Office and Mass), nor is it even the Liber Usualis (which is a compilation from the other two), but it does have chants for Sundays and Feastdays adapted to the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite.

So no, the Gregorian Missal does NOT contain all the corpus of Gregorian Chant, even for mass.
 
I’m assuming here that you’re speaking of the EF, and that you’re looking for a compilation of Gregorian Chant. The Liber Usualis is more-or-less the benchmark, but be aware that it’s huge. There is (at least there was) an abbreviated Liber that was published in France under the title Paroissien Romain which is much easier to handle, and is more-or-less the EF equivalent of the Gregorian Missal. There is also a book called the Liber Brevior which is quite similar. Have a look here.

If you’re speaking of the OF, yes, the Gregorian Missal should fill the bill.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top