In the interest of balance, I think it’s fair to say that there are significant, scholarly arguments that seriously question the validity of all extra-Biblical sources we have for the historical existence of Jesus - every single one, and these aren’t all from non-Christian scholars either.
Yes, that does present a problem.
I would have to dispute this last statement.
"1Th 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. "
"1Th 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. "
In the same chapter Paul extols the importance of both proof and faith. In the human sense, I can see how you would value a proven faith less than one which isn’t, but I see no valid reason for this perception, especially in light of scripture.
Let me say that it’s not necessarily blind faith, though. We can see the hand of God in many ways, and we can imagine what the world would be like if there had never been any such thing as Christianity.
The gospels are a powerfull testimony of his existence. The negative argument boils down to, “claims require evidence. Christianity claims the existence of jesus, stories written thousands of years ago are insufficient evidence. All claims are false until proven true. Christianities claim of the existence of jesus is false.” I certainly can’t dispute this logically, though I could use this same argument to dispute the existence of a great many historical figures. I just like to have as much “proof” as possible, as the bible tells me I should.
Skeptictank