The Hypostatic Union & Sola Scriptura

  • Thread starter Thread starter jacobaer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jacobaer

Guest
I am asking anyone who holds to Sola Scriptura to make the case for the Hypostatic Union of our Lord Jesus Christ using Scripture alone.

Here is the definition of the Hypostatic Union:

From the Council of Chalcedon, 451 A.D.

"So,* following the saintly fathers*, we all with one voice teach the confession of one and the same Son, our Lord Jesus Christ:

A) the same perfect in divinity and perfect in humanity, the same truly God and truly man, of a rational soul and a body;

B) consubstantial with the Father as regards his divinity, and the same consubstantial with us as regards his humanity;

C) like us in all respects except for sin;

D) begotten before the ages from the Father as regards his divinity, and in the last days the same for us and for our salvation from Mary, the virgin God-bearer as regards his humanity;

E) one and the same Christ, Son, Lord, only-begotten, acknowledged in two natures which undergo no confusion, no change, no division, no separation;

F) at no point was the difference between the natures taken away through the union, but rather the property of both natures is preserved and comes together into a single person and a single subsistent being;

G) he is not parted or divided into two persons, but is one and the same only-begotten Son, God, Word, Lord Jesus Christ,

just as the prophets taught from the beginning about him, and as the Lord Jesus Christ himself instructed us, and as the creed of the fathers handed it down to us."

I added the paragraph breaks with designating letters for easy reference.

Please tell me how these fathers of the faith knew from Scripture alone points E, F and G.

Peace,
Jacobaer

P.S. Evangelical Protestant theologian made the following statement, taken from Systematic Theology Volume 1, God the Son: The Hypostatic Union (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Kregel Publications, 1993, p. 387):

“…the Bible presents no systematized Christology but rather offers a simple narrative with its attending issues…”
 
Oh, come one, it can’t be that hard! I will hazard a guess that the Hypostatic Union is taught in every Christology class in every Evangelical Protestant seminary in the country.

Jacobaer
 
The truth is Sola Scriptura is what caused the heresies that Ecumenical Councils had to eventually condemn regarding teachings like the Hypostatic Union.
 
I think the issue is that Protestants can look to the councils and Church fathers for information and insight, but since they do not believe them to be infallible, these teachings are not binding upon Christians, after all, only Scripture is God Breathed, and therefore binding upon Christians.
Therefore, the Hypstatic, though it is interesting, and helps us understand the Trinity better, it is not binding upon us Christians to believe in for our salvation.

But I am a Catholic, so what do I know about Sola Scriptura.
 
I am asking anyone who holds to Sola Scriptura to make the case for the Hypostatic Union of our Lord Jesus Christ using Scripture alone.

…"
Wheh, I don’t think anyone will touch that with a ten foot pole. That’s a very tall task. But it’s also a heavy item to contemplate if you think the Early Christians were Sola Scripturaists.
 
I can’t get any farther with my protestant friend than, “it is evident in Scripture for anyone who cares to know”. The Holy Spirit guides this friend in all truth (supposedly) and His Infallibility as Teacher is all that is needed.
Ridiculous, huh?
 
My wife is a devout Christian of the Evangelical Protestant persuasion. I attend her church with her. I actually like the pastor. He was raised Catholic and is going through a Catholic rennaissance after taking a sabbatical a few years ago in a few monasteries.

Anyway, one of the younger pastors just graduated from Gordon-Conwell seminary. I asked him about the Hypostatic Union, how it was taught in seminary, do you find it in Scripture, etc. Not only did he say that the Union is not found in Scripture, much of what we believe about the Trinity is not found in Scripture.

The Trinity, the Hypostatic Union and the New Testament canon…all derived from Sacred Tradition!

Peace,
Jacobaer
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top