F
Fergal
Guest
I am throwing out a recent meditation I had on the mystery of the Incarnation and the Holy Mass for discussion. it came to me after Holy Communion on the 8th of December last.
I wish to point out here that I may be way off the point and I appreciate that. I would love to know what people think of this.
On this great marian feast day I have had time to ponder for one reason or another the word pregnant and all of its meanings. of course it has its most frequent meaning “to be with child”. During this time of Advent I often think of how Mary was disposed over these days so close to the time of our Saviours birth. Then I think of my poor self, so full of hope and so full of determination at first and then so quick to slack off.
As I was contemplating the Gospel after Communion this morning, I was thinking of the wonderful event of the Incarnation, which through no fault of their own, people actually think is the event we celebrate today, and I considered the moment of the Incarnation and the Angel’s message to Mary.
Then I thought of the moment I receive Holy Communion and realised that in essence there is no difference between the two events since both lead to the living Christ residing within. I then again pondered these words ‘The Holy Spirit will come upon you and the power of the Most High will cover you with its shadow.’ I then had a sudden and very deep realisation of the presence of the Trinity during my thankgiving for having received Holy Communion and how the Trinity is present to us each and every time we receive.
Let us run our preparation for Holy Communion, our reception of Holy Communion and our life after Holy Communion in parallel with story of the Incarnation.
Mary never even for the briefest of moments had an inclination to sin. There was never the slighest sinful opposition to God in the Heart of Mary. Her heart and mind were turned to God each and every moment of each and every day. In fact when the Angel came to her, he found her in deep contemplation for he called her full of grace. Since she was full of grace at that moment she was in spiritual communion with God.
How do we prepare for Holy Mass? What effort do we put into preparing internally for the great event of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass? What preparation do we go through before we are nourished in word and in sacrament? Are we prepared at all? Have we given in any thought? Have we greeted God and asked Him to help us prepare? Do we spend our week preparing by entering into prayer at some time of each and every day like Mary did? or do we find ourselves awakeing on Sunday morning thinking that we have to go to Mass? If we do then let us resolve to gove God some time each and every day thanking Him for last weeks Mass and asking Him to help us prepare well for the Mass that we will attend on the following Sunday.
Mary asked the Angel how the events he related to her would come to pass and she was told “The Holy Spirit will come upon you and the power of the most high will cover you with its shadow” of course we know that when the Angel left her telling her finally that nothing is impossible to God, Mary found herself pregnant with the Holy Infant Jesus.
At Holy Mass we hear the Priest invoke the Holy Spirit with the words “Lord, let your Spirit come upon these gifts to make them Holy.”
The Holy Spirit has the same function in each and every Mass as He had at the moment of the Incarnation; he makes present the body, blood, soul and divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ obviously in unity with the Father. And so, at the moment of consecration, the Holy Spirit comes upon the gifts of bread and wine and the power of the most High covers them with its shadow and that which was bread and wine becomes the body and blood of Jesus Christ; that which was bread and wine is now to be called “holy and will be called the Son of God.” Do we see, with the necessary eyes of faith, this extraordinary and supernatural change? Do we realise that it actually happens? Or do we remain passive weighed down by the worries of the world pressing in from all sides to the point where His coming escapes us? Can’t we just put them aside for even an instant and step into the wonder that is the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass? In just a few short moments in history, each and every time the Mass is offered, the Holy Spirit comes upon us to transform us every more closely into the image of God.
/cont…
I wish to point out here that I may be way off the point and I appreciate that. I would love to know what people think of this.
On this great marian feast day I have had time to ponder for one reason or another the word pregnant and all of its meanings. of course it has its most frequent meaning “to be with child”. During this time of Advent I often think of how Mary was disposed over these days so close to the time of our Saviours birth. Then I think of my poor self, so full of hope and so full of determination at first and then so quick to slack off.
As I was contemplating the Gospel after Communion this morning, I was thinking of the wonderful event of the Incarnation, which through no fault of their own, people actually think is the event we celebrate today, and I considered the moment of the Incarnation and the Angel’s message to Mary.
Then I thought of the moment I receive Holy Communion and realised that in essence there is no difference between the two events since both lead to the living Christ residing within. I then again pondered these words ‘The Holy Spirit will come upon you and the power of the Most High will cover you with its shadow.’ I then had a sudden and very deep realisation of the presence of the Trinity during my thankgiving for having received Holy Communion and how the Trinity is present to us each and every time we receive.
Let us run our preparation for Holy Communion, our reception of Holy Communion and our life after Holy Communion in parallel with story of the Incarnation.
Mary never even for the briefest of moments had an inclination to sin. There was never the slighest sinful opposition to God in the Heart of Mary. Her heart and mind were turned to God each and every moment of each and every day. In fact when the Angel came to her, he found her in deep contemplation for he called her full of grace. Since she was full of grace at that moment she was in spiritual communion with God.
How do we prepare for Holy Mass? What effort do we put into preparing internally for the great event of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass? What preparation do we go through before we are nourished in word and in sacrament? Are we prepared at all? Have we given in any thought? Have we greeted God and asked Him to help us prepare? Do we spend our week preparing by entering into prayer at some time of each and every day like Mary did? or do we find ourselves awakeing on Sunday morning thinking that we have to go to Mass? If we do then let us resolve to gove God some time each and every day thanking Him for last weeks Mass and asking Him to help us prepare well for the Mass that we will attend on the following Sunday.
Mary asked the Angel how the events he related to her would come to pass and she was told “The Holy Spirit will come upon you and the power of the most high will cover you with its shadow” of course we know that when the Angel left her telling her finally that nothing is impossible to God, Mary found herself pregnant with the Holy Infant Jesus.
At Holy Mass we hear the Priest invoke the Holy Spirit with the words “Lord, let your Spirit come upon these gifts to make them Holy.”
The Holy Spirit has the same function in each and every Mass as He had at the moment of the Incarnation; he makes present the body, blood, soul and divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ obviously in unity with the Father. And so, at the moment of consecration, the Holy Spirit comes upon the gifts of bread and wine and the power of the most High covers them with its shadow and that which was bread and wine becomes the body and blood of Jesus Christ; that which was bread and wine is now to be called “holy and will be called the Son of God.” Do we see, with the necessary eyes of faith, this extraordinary and supernatural change? Do we realise that it actually happens? Or do we remain passive weighed down by the worries of the world pressing in from all sides to the point where His coming escapes us? Can’t we just put them aside for even an instant and step into the wonder that is the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass? In just a few short moments in history, each and every time the Mass is offered, the Holy Spirit comes upon us to transform us every more closely into the image of God.
/cont…