The inquisition and pope leo

  • Thread starter Thread starter godsent
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

godsent

Guest
I watched a documentary on the inquisition and how the papacy was corrupt and how material things were all that mattered to pope leo and the clergy.
I want to know what actually happened,im fully convinced that at thse times the papacy were doing thingd all wrong,but does that mean a split from the church?

Does it affect the church today the fact that the papacy were quite corrupt back then leading to the reformation?

god bless.
 
Please be more specific. 🙂 There was more than one pope named Leo and more than one inquisition. And, did you want to talk about the reformation or the inquisitions? :confused:
 
I watched a documentary on the inquisition and how the papacy was corrupt and how material things were all that mattered to pope leo and the clergy.
I am amazed this was the worst you were told. I could point you in the direction of programmes and numerous books which claim much worse.

Some critics will quote more people being put to death by the CC under inquisition than were alive on the planet at the time of their death!

I have often been asked to explain the Spanish Inquition. I have often replied by asking why we need ‘go to Spain’ what about the English Inquisition [under which many thousands of Catholics died]. Invariably and astonishingly, the questioner has no knowldge of this!!

So far as I recall, the many thousands, [some sources say ‘millions’] put to death under inquisition, was in reality about 30 odd. These were executed not by the church but by the political regimes under whom the inquisition took place.
 
I am amazed this was the worst you were told. I could point you in the direction of programmes and numerous books which claim much worse.

Some critics will quote more people being put to death by the CC under inquisition than were alive on the planet at the time of their death!

I have often been asked to explain the Spanish Inquition. I have often replied by asking why we need ‘go to Spain’ what about the English Inquisition [under which many thousands of Catholics died]. Invariably and astonishingly, the questioner has no knowldge of this!!

So far as I recall, the many thousands, [some sources say ‘millions’] put to death under inquisition, was in reality about 30 odd. These were executed not by the church but by the political regimes under whom the inquisition took place.
30 seems low. I have read that conservative estimates place the number at about 3,000 during the Spanish inquisition - a number far lower than the hard-core anti-Catholics quote. I wish I could give a reference, but it’s been awhile since I had to fight this particular dragon.

However, if you have any reference for your number, I would truly love to learn more.

BTW, both “your” number and “mine” are far lower than the estimates of the number of “witches” killed in predominantly Protestant countries during the same time period.

The last witch was tried as recently as the 1950’s I believe in England though with little serious outcome. And let’s not forget the Infamous Salem Witch Trials in the US.
 
I have often been asked to explain the Spanish Inquition. I have often replied by asking why we need ‘go to Spain’ what about the English Inquisition [under which many thousands of Catholics died]. Invariably and astonishingly, the questioner has no knowldge of this!!

So far as I recall, the many thousands, [some sources say ‘millions’] put to death under inquisition, was in reality about 30 odd. These were executed not by the church but by the political regimes under whom the inquisition took place.
Oh? So the Church had nothing to do with the Inquisition? Come on…

Also, let’s not forget the Protestants put to death under the Catholic restoration of Mary in England.

Unfortunately, when we start looking at history to discern who did what to who we find out that Catholics and Protestants prosecuted each other. It was not a one way street. All of which is a fine example of why freedom of religion for all and prohibiting an established church were of such a priority to the founders of the Amercian Republic.
 
I think what is most important to recognize from a historical perspective that both Catholics and Protestants have done evil things to each other. However, it is also true that propaganda over the centuries has turned some of these unfortunate episodes into things they weren’t. What is also true is that the irreligious people who point to these events as reasons why religion is bad, have far greater bloody episodes to explain (think: Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc…).

As Christians what do we learn from this?

A.) the comparative numbers of those killed in Catholic vs. Protestant “inquisitions” cannot be used as proofs regarding the theological merits of their respective doctrines. And,

B.) Once again, we are all sinners! Our affiliation doesn’t collectively immunize us from evil decisions and actions. But,

C.) Christian virtues in a society lessen the extent and scope of these types of episodes. For that matter, any religion that emphasizes the God-given worth and sanctity of every human life is likely to diminish these types of evils. Non-religious Fascism and especially Communism have the blood of tens of millions on their hands. And look to the pagan ceremonies of the Aztecs, et al for a glimpse at the bloodthirstiness of paganism.
 
I watched a documentary on the inquisition and how the papacy was corrupt and how material things were all that mattered to pope leo and the clergy.
I want to know what actually happened,im fully convinced that at thse times the papacy were doing thingd all wrong,but does that mean a split from the church?

Does it affect the church today the fact that the papacy were quite corrupt back then leading to the reformation?

god bless.
Also read this about what the Reformation was really all about.

biblelight.net/keenan.htm#15

(and no the papacy was never doing things “all wrong.”)
 
Another thing we have to remember is that the early inquisitions were meant to clear out the remnants of the Moors who had invaded and held most of Spain for a very long time (it’s been a while since I read up on all this, so I’m afraid I have to generalize).

Also, those who were under suspicion of being subversives begged to be tried by a Church tribunal, instead of the secular authorities because the Church authorities assumed innocence until proved guilty.

And finally, most of those who were executed under the early inquisitions were heretics of the sort that no modern Protestant would have considered a brother Christian. These heretics, for instance, denied marriage in favor of living together without it for the convoluted reason that they believed flesh was totally evil so marriage couldn’t be a sacrament, and other such decidedly unchristian ideas.

So, before anyone condemns the early inquisitions wholesale, I think it would be better to stop preaching to the choir and really look into the facts, for the sake of true harmony between all who follow Christ, both Protestant and Catholic alike.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top