"The Insider" on Opus Dei

• Thread starter Thread starter BK80734
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BK80734

Did anyone see this? “The Insider” is apparently a spinoff of Entertainment Tonight… I hadn’t seen it before, but it was on at my parents’ this weekend. It’s really strange because, as it says here:
insider.tv.yahoo.com/celeb/2005/04/08/opusdei/
…they had a fairly sympathetic person toward Opus Dei on for an interview. The impression I had from watching their sensationalistic photos of whips and chains, as well as their frequent reference to “The DaVinci Code” was actually that they were confirming the story that the Holy Father was controlled by a “secret society” engaged in “body mutilation.” Images speak more loudly than words.

I heard Rush Limbaugh say on Friday that the mainstream media was feeling gleeful that day because, among other things, they could go back to Catholic-bashing as usual now. I feel like this story confirmed that theory rather quickly!

It is amazing how people think it is perfectly acceptable to torture the body with bone-snaping plastic surgery, starvation diets, etc. in the name of the gods of youth and beauty, but freak out if someone performs corporal mortification (which is normatively not supposed to permanently damage the body.) for spiritual purification.

Scott

Scott Waddell:
It is amazing how people think it is perfectly acceptable to torture the body with bone-snaping plastic surgery, starvation diets, etc. in the name of the gods of youth and beauty, but freak out if someone performs corporal mortification (which is normatively not supposed to permanently damage the body.) for spiritual purification.
Scott,

This was so good, I thought I’d blog it so I don’t forget it. Thanks.

itsjustdave1988.blogspot.com/

Cool. It’s not my idea, but my wording of what I recall of a conversation with someone who defended the practice.

Scott

P.S. Nice blog, I’ll bookmark it. Also, “bone-snaping” should be spelled “bone-snapping”. (That’s me typing with one finger and a wriggling baby in the other arm.) 😃

An apostate priest who finds a welcome forum (the Cincinnati Enquirer) to spew his anti-Catholic venom here in Cincinnati (who would have thought there was any bad priests in Cincy) wrote an article Saturday in which he says in part: “And there was the extraordinary favor he showed to Opus Dei, the originally Spanish organization, that many see as nostalia for the pre-Vatican Church that offered cheap grace through total conformity to authority.” Sad and pathetic how many rotten priests there are in the Church these days.

40.png
Rica:
An apostate priest who finds a welcome forum (the Cincinnati Enquirer) to spew his anti-Catholic venom here in Cincinnati (who would have thought there was any bad priests in Cincy) wrote an article Saturday in which he says in part: “And there was the extraordinary favor he showed to Opus Dei, the originally Spanish organization, that many see as nostalia for the pre-Vatican Church that offered cheap grace through total conformity to authority.” Sad and pathetic how many rotten priests there are in the Church these days.
Interesting quote since Opus Dei and its founder support VatII and JPII completely. This is one of those clues that lets me know OD is OK: The rad-trads think it is too liberal, whereas the modernist whackadoos think it is too conservative.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back