L
Lepanto
Guest
I am thinking of buying one of these, as I currently have neither. Which would you recommend, and why? How are they different?
If you can find the original “Jerome Biblical Commentary” you are a fortunate person! It’s been out of print for decades and is hard to find. To my mind, the original is the better of the two. In either case, be advised that you will be dealing with a significant amount of “higher criticism” which some will find problematic.I am thinking of buying one of these, as I currently have neither. Which would you recommend, and why? How are they different?
Thank you! Nice find!
I am unfamiliar with the “New” version’s alleged flaws. How does it compare to the original version?I won’t by the new jerome Bible commentary just the original.
Historical Criticism gone overboard.I am unfamiliar with the “New” version’s alleged flaws. How does it compare to the original version?
Honestly, there has been a lot of really important biblical scholarship since the 19th century. The New Jerome Bible Commentary is a good one-volume commentary and updates the earlier version. Modern historical, textual, narrative, sociological and other approaches to criticism have added immensely to our understanding of scripture, both Old Testament and New.The Haydock is the best you can get. I heard the New Jerome Bible Commentary isn’t even worth the paper it was printed on. If anyone can find where to buy a Jerome Bible Commentary, let me know. I won’t by the new jerome Bible commentary just the original.
Has any dogma or doctrine been overturned by this “scholarship”?Honestly, there has been a lot of really important biblical scholarship since the 19th century. The New Jerome Bible Commentary is a good one-volume commentary and updates the earlier version. Modern historical, textual, narrative, sociological and other approaches to criticism have added immensely to our understanding of scripture, both Old Testament and New.
I’m not sure why that question is relevant. Biblical scholarship allows us to understand the message and meaning of the bible. That has a value in and of itself. By the way, you seem to dismiss 20th century bible scholarship in its entirety by your use of quotation marks. Raymond Brown, Joseph Fitzmyer, John Meier, Daniel Harrington, Luke Timothy Johnson, Joseph Blenkinsopp, etc., etc.: you judge their work to be “non-scholarship”? By what criteria? I guess it’s a lot easier to condemn the whole lot than to read and understand what they’ve contributed.Has any dogma or doctrine been overturned by this “scholarship”?
If you understand the limitations then it is OK. The Pope has recently written on the weakness of the HCM. He admits that it has brought new insights to our organic understanding of Scripture, but it cannot stand by itself as a certain method.I’m not sure why that question is relevant. Biblical scholarship allows us to understand the message and meaning of the bible. That has a value in and of itself. By the way, you seem to dismiss 20th century bible scholarship in its entirety by your use of quotation marks. Raymond Brown, Joseph Fitzmyer, John Meier, Daniel Harrington, Luke Timothy Johnson, Joseph Blenkinsopp, etc., etc.: you judge their work to be “non-scholarship”? By what criteria? I guess it’s a lot easier to condemn the whole lot than to read and understand what they’ve contributed.
Have you tried Tan Books they might have a older copy of (“The Jerome Biblical Commentary”) I’m not sure if you could categorize my Jerome Biblical Commentary as a newer version or not that I purchased at a public book fair a few years ago.The Jerome Biblical Commentary vs. The “New” Jerome Biblical Commentary
I am thinking of buying one of these, as I currently have neither. Which would you recommend, and why? How are they different?
The New Jerome is a very moderate example of historical criticism. But I can see why some people would think that even moderate historical criticism is “overboard”!Historical Criticism gone overboard.
How do you define “moderate”?The New Jerome is a very moderate example of historical criticism. But I can see why some people would think that even moderate historical criticism is “overboard”!
Edwin
There’s a spectrum of opinion in the guild of Biblical scholars, and the scholars who put together the New Jerusalem Bible would be at or to the right of the center of that spectrum.How do you define “moderate”?
I agree with Edwin. The JBC and NJBC reflect mainstream bible scholarship by Catholic commentators.There’s a spectrum of opinion in the guild of Biblical scholars, and the scholars who put together the New Jerusalem Bible would be at or to the right of the center of that spectrum.
Edwin
There is a new series of Catholic Commentaries coming out now called: ‘Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture’. So far they have released a book on The Gospel of Mark, and one on 'First & Second Timothy, Titus. They are released through Baker books, and are available through Amazon.com. I really like this series, they are based on the NAB (because this is the Bible the majority of Catholics own) but also refer differences with the RSV and even the NIV. This commentary uses tradition and a lot less HCM and is very readable. I think Scott Hahn is going to be writing one of the upcoming books. They are parperback and affordable, 12-15 dollars at Amazon.Thanks for the advice. I see many used copies of the original version on Amazon for about $20. Maybe I’ll pick up one of those.