The Jesus Prayer

• Thread starter Thread starter Deacon2006
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deacon2006

Does anyone know some good links to Jesus Prayer information?

God Bless

Peace to you in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I have been practicing the Jesus prayer for some time now as I strive to live a life of continual prayer. It is an awesome prayer that truly becomes part of your being with every breath you take. I recently heard of this website hesychasm.ru/en/ that has many articles you can read and recommended books you can order. There is also www.monachos.net that has different articles as well as a lively discussion board. Hope this is helpful for you.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
In Christ,
Marie

40.png
StMaryofEgypt:
Peace to you in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I have been practicing the Jesus prayer for some time now as I strive to live a life of continual prayer. It is an awesome prayer that truly becomes part of your being with every breath you take. I recently heard of this website hesychasm.ru/en/ that has many articles you can read and recommended books you can order. There is also www.monachos.net that has different articles as well as a lively discussion board. Hope this is helpful for you.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
In Christ,
Marie
Unfortunately the first site is a quietist site and this presents problems for those who are already Christian contemplatives however for those who are not it is a harmless pursuit.

I assure you that the Holy Spirit is not something that is acquired by anything willed and quietist tendencies can go horribly wrong for those who go looking for a Spiritual experience emerging from that practice.

40.png
oriel36:
Unfortunately the first site is a quietist site and this presents problems for those who are already Christian contemplatives however for those who are not it is a harmless pursuit.

I assure you that the Holy Spirit is not something that is acquired by anything willed and quietist tendencies can go horribly wrong for those who go looking for a Spiritual experience emerging from that practice.
What does “quietist” mean?

40.png
JKirkLVNV:
What does “quietist” mean?
Quietism is a phase of the Christian Way.It parallels the Eastern traditions of meditation up to a point and then is left behind whereas those religious aspects of say the Buddhist tradition carry on and take quietism to the extreme.

ccel.org/u/underhill/mysticism/mysticism1.0-INTROVER.html#Heading31

The practice generates a genuine Spiritual experience but often degenerates into a self-serving practice where the practitioner generally and mistakingly equates the experience with holiness.This is why Christian contemplatives allow the initial experiences to serve their purpose and then move on from the practice without returning to it and even actively shunning it.

ccel.org/t/theo_ger/theologia31.htm

The Jesus Prayer is an orthodox Prayer, and is a way of showing unity when we pray it, we show unity with our brethern Orthodox. If you have noticed the Pope has been working hard to try to establish unity with the Orthodox.

I’m sure you’ve all heard when the pope returned Our Lady of Kozan(forgot the name), and now he is giving some relics back to the Patriach.

You can read about it in zenit. Just click on this link.
http:/www.zenit.org/english

I learned that prayer through a mystic.

They actually have orthodox rosaries, they are made of 33 threads.

here is a link you can look at to learn more about orthodox rosary. tlig.us/html/orthodox_rosary.html

another site to look at to learn more about Orthodoxy and Catholicism split go to

praiseofglory.com/Stmaximus.htm/

Blessings

40.png
Kaily:
sorry typo:

zenit.org/english/

to read the article on the relics
typo? what tpyo?

Because the Zenit Web site is a framed site, each page on the site starts with that same URL for its home page, which is (the English translation of the content), as you say:

www.zenit.org/english/

May I direct you to the page that has the Zenit news articles for November 25, 2004 (which is also www.zenit.org/english/). There, go to the page for November 25, and click on the headline that brings up the article. Here is the first paragraph (only) of the article:

Code: ZE04112506

Date: 2004-11-25

Return of Relics to Rekindle Catholic-Orthodox Dialogue

Event Will Help Bridge the Gap, Says Archimandrite

VATICAN CITY, NOV. 25, 2004 (Zenit.org).- Theological dialogue between the Orthodox and Catholic Churches is expected to resume after the relics of Sts. Gregory Nazianzen and John Chrysostom are returned to the patriarch of Constantinople.

I tried for a long time to find good reliable information on the Jesus Prayer online. My search was nearly without fruit whatsoever. I didn’t find anything worth bookmarking, though I did find some nice commentaries.

The “authoratative” work on the Jesus prayer is a book entitled “The Way of the Pilgrim”. The author is unknown but it is held in very high esteem within the Orthodox Church.

It is an incredible book. I suggest anyone who is really interested in this practice should read it.

Peace,
Chad

40.png
Kaily:
The Jesus Prayer is an orthodox Prayer, and is a way of showing unity when we pray it, we show unity with our brethern Orthodox.

Blessings
I appreciate all of the sentiments you have expressed here, but I would just like to state that the Jesus prayer is very much a Catholic prayer as well as Orthodox.

Eastern Catholics have been praying this way thoughout their long histories. And there have always been Catholics of the Eastern traditions.

The monastery of Grottaferrata is an excellent example of this: a Greek Eastern monastery at Rome that has existed since before the Great Schism and to the present day!

Make the Jesus Prayer your prayer, because it always has been!

http://www.abbaziagreca.it/images/messa1.jpg

When I went to Greece I bought a book on the Jesus prayer. It was not alien to me at all as my spiritual director is bi-ritual. In the book it says that it would be very dangerous to really get into this without the direction of a priest. For many reason. I have taken that advie and I am monitored…

Blessings,
Shoshana

hesychios,

I didn’t know it was very Catholic as well. I know some catholics pray it but the Orthodox are the ones who formalized it.

I would just like to share what a priest from England, Father Sullivan, shared with us on a retreat once. He was at this conference with mostly orthodox people and priest and he, Father Sullivan(a Catholic priest) said the orthodox rosary, because that is what they call it, also known as the Jesus Prayer, and the orthodox priest had tears in his eyes because he said he never hears Catholic priests saying this, he was very touched because he believed this showed a sign of unity among us.

I was looking up the history of this prayer and it said, it is one of the oldest of Christian prayers, dating in its orignal form to the words of the two blind men cried out to Jesus in Matthew 20:31. It was formalized by the Orhodox Churches in the 5th century.
I believe it is more widely used in the Orthodox churches. As a help in reciting this prayer many Orthodox use a rosary, differing somewhat in structure from the western rosary; an Orthodox rosary is often made of wool, so that unlike a string of beads it makes no noise.

I did hear Father Corapi mention this prayer in one of his speeches, as for how many catholics practice this prayer, I do not know, maybe one of you do.

God Bless You All,
Kaily :blessyou:

Glory to Jesus Christ!

The parish I belong to is proudly Catholic and most of the parishioners are saying the Jesus Prayer, at least occasionally. It is taught in formation classes and the little ones are often seen with prayer ropes on their wrists.

The older parishioners were weaned away from the practice when anything “Orthodox” was discouraged. Fortunately in my parish we have a lot of young families who are eager to practice the Faith as handed down in the Tradition. Our prayer rope is called a chotki, it is called by other names as well, depending upon the community.

I have a chotki in my pocket right here at work, it has 50 knots and I bought it at the parish. The more common ones will have 33 knots or 100 knots (like the one I have next to my bed). And yes, they are made of wool.

I will say the Jesus Prayer at any time during the day or night. The object for me isn’t really to count the prayers, and as often as not a Spiritual Director will limit the number of prayers. I usually forget how many I have prayed at a “sitting”, it basically sanctifies my time and draws me into the presence of Our Lord. I have successfully used a set of Franciscan penance beads for the Jesus Prayer; I do a decade each way and punctuate with other prayers, such as the Doxology and the Creed.

One can use fingers, beads or nothing at all.

40.png
Kaily:
I was looking up the history of this prayer and it said, it is one of the oldest of Christian prayers, dating in its orignal form to the words of the two blind men cried out to Jesus in Matthew 20:31. It was formalized by the Orhodox Churches in the 5th century.
Hi Kaily,

You are quite right about that, also the prayer of the Publican.

I wanted to mention one thing, in the 5th century the Orthodox and Catholic churches were one and the same. In other words they were us, and in a sense still are.

But you are right to acknowledge that the devotion is particular to the East. The spirituality and theology of the East are different but no less valid.

The Jesus Prayer truly is a way to connect us in prayer with our sisters and brothers. It starts with us.

The reason why I brought this up is my spiritual director, who is a catholic priest, had brought this up as a prayer he likes. I have also seen it mentioned in the CCC.

God Bless

How does one pray the Orthodox Rosary? Does one just say the Jesus prayer for each bead or knot? I love the Jesus prayer and would like to learn how to say this particular type of Rosary. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance! Many blessings 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back