The Jesus Prayer

• Thread starter Thread starter Deacon2006
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Night Rider,

On each thread or bead, say Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy on Me the sinner!

Say it as many times as you want, I happen to have a rosary with 33 beads, so I say it 33 times, the reason the 33 threads is most common I think is because they made it to represent the 33 years of the life of our Lord!

Heys,

It would be wonderful if we could fully unite again! and be under ONE shephard, which is the Pope, I see the Pope is working very hard towards unity with our brethern Orthodox. He now returned relics to them. If our brethern protestants see us filled with love and united, maybe they will follow, and finally accept the fullness of the Truth, which is in the Catholic Church.

God Bless,
Kaily

40.png
Kaily:
Night Rider,

On each thread or bead, say Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy on Me the sinner!

Say it as many times as you want, I happen to have a rosary with 33 beads, so I say it 33 times, the reason the 33 threads is most common I think is because they made it to represent the 33 years of the life of our Lord!

Heys,

It would be wonderful if we could fully unite again! and be under ONE shephard, which is the Pope, I see the Pope is working very hard towards unity with our brethern Orthodox. He now returned relics to them. If our brethern protestants see us filled with love and united, maybe they will follow, and finally accept the fullness of the Truth, which is in the Catholic Church.

God Bless,
Kaily
Thank you, Kaily! I know the Jesus Prayer but I wasn’t sure if anything else was said before or after it when one is using beads. Also, where does one find the 33 bead Orthodox Rosary? Would I need to contact an Orthodox church in my area to get one? Thanks so much in advance and God bless you muchly! 🙂

Hi Everybody! 👋

Last night I fell asleep saying the Jesus Prayer and it felt so right! It is the perfect prayer for me and I love this thread about it–thank you!
🙂

40.png
NightRider:
Thank you, Kaily! I know the Jesus Prayer but I wasn’t sure if anything else was said before or after it when one is using beads. Also, where does one find the 33 bead Orthodox Rosary? Would I need to contact an Orthodox church in my area to get one? Thanks so much in advance and God bless you muchly! 🙂
Try here

and here

or even here!

Did you know the word bead actually means prayer? It is an ancient practice for people to pray with stones, knotted ropes, etc. even pre-Christian. Beads are called after their use, they got their name from the prayers said with them!

Here’s another good explanation of the Jesus prayer.

40.png
Hesychios:
Try here

and here

or even here!

Did you know the word bead actually means prayer? It is an ancient practice for people to pray with stones, knotted ropes, etc. even pre-Christian. Beads are called after their use, they got their name from the prayers said with them!

Here’s another good explanation of the Jesus prayer.
Thank you, Hesychios, for these wonderful links! I visited each of them and am really taken with the beauty of the different types of beads–I learned a lot by visiting these links. I will be ordering some as soon as I have gainful employment again! You were so very kind to provide me with the means to learning–thanks so much again and God bless you muchly! And by the way, what does your user name mean?

Hesychios the priest (died 434 AD)
St. Hesychios speaks thus: Fear God and keep His commandments both in your feelings and in your intellect. If you force yourself to keep them in your intellect, bit by bit you will attain to fulfilling them in your feelings.

and

The name of Jesus should be repeated over and over in the heart as flashes of lightning are repeated over and over in the sky before rain…

and

If you really wish to cover your evil thoughts with shame, to be still and calm, and to watch over your heart without hindrance, let the Jesus Prayer cleave to your breath, and in a few days you will find that this is possible.

http://chant.theologian.org/images/JohnDamascus.jpg

Thank you, Hesychios, for explaining where your username comes from–awesome information! Beautiful quotes–and beautiful in what they mean. God bless! 🙂

I have a small one decade rosary that I say the Jesus Prayer on while I’m walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back