The Last Supper and the Passover‏

  • Thread starter Thread starter The_Way
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The_Way

Guest
I was pondering on something quite puzzling. Traditionally I followed Scott Hahn’s idea the Last Supper was held on the Passover feast and thus they were the one and the same. The cup our Lord gave His disciples to drink was the 3rd cup in the traditional Jewish Seder.

Reading John 19:14 “Now it was the Preparation of the passover: it was about the sixth hour. And he saith unto the Jews, Behold, your King!"

Some commentaries suggest this was the eve for the Sabbath preparation, but it seems St John wanted to emphasize the timing of Christ’s condemnation was about the same time the lambs were being slaughtered for the passover.

Which is it? Did the last supper take place on the night of the passover meal or before?

God bless,
 
I was pondering on something quite puzzling. Traditionally I followed Scott Hahn’s idea the Last Supper was held on the Passover feast and thus they were the one and the same. The cup our Lord gave His disciples to drink was the 3rd cup in the traditional Jewish Seder.

Reading John 19:14 “Now it was the Preparation of the passover: it was about the sixth hour. And he saith unto the Jews, Behold, your King!"

Some commentaries suggest this was the eve for the Sabbath preparation, but it seems St John wanted to emphasize the timing of Christ’s condemnation was about the same time the lambs were being slaughtered for the passover.

Which is it? Did the last supper take place on the night of the passover meal or before?

God bless,
This article might help. 🙂
 
Many years ago I had occasion to ask Father Francis X. Wiser, S.J. [author of Handbook of Christian Feasts and Customs] of this. He told me that it was required that the Seder meal be eaten indoors. Therefore the inhabitants of Jerusalem moved out and let the travelers eat in their house one night and then they ate indoors the next. It is an interesting theory, but I have never seen it repeated elsewhere.

Elsewhere, I have seen it suggested that the Temple authorities moved Passover to the Sabbath, much as we move many feasts to Sunday. Meanwhile some traditionalists stuck with the true date. Again, I have seen little support for this, but it is an interesting speculation.

Even if you are an avid gambler and seeker of long-shots, don’t risk more than :twocents: on either. 😃
 
At the time the Gospels were written there were many alive who had been witnesses, or knew witnesses, to the events. I tend to presume that they would have quickly pointed out any obvious inconsistencies between the accounts. Thus, what may appear contradictory to us 2000 years later must have had a reasonable explanation at the time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top